General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dexcool sludge

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Dexcool sludge

what safely removes this.
Please no comments on suitability of DC or Dex Vs Green.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had this happen to me on 95z28,i just flushed system repeatedly seemed to work...
Old 12-24-2010, 06:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Seems like all you can do is flush it out like crazy. If there is sludge in there I cant imagine getting it all out. Just flush it a few times and see how it is.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:32 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by toplessHO
what safely removes this.
Please no comments on suitability of DC or Dex Vs Green.
Some guy on here used kerosene/gasoline in his overflow tank. If you're that concerned about the sludge in your motor I would use a flush agent like the ones that Prestone sells. You could always take it to a shop and have them use a machine on it, assuming your water pump is in good shape and you don't have any leaks anywhere...
Old 12-25-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the better radiator/cooling system flush chemicals are made by penray, other than an online vendor you can usually find them at service centers for CAT or international harvester. Or look up a local shop specializing in cooling system and radiator service and get what they use, it will be much better than what you can buy off the shelf at the regular part store or anything prestone.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine wasn't bad but i used prestone cleaner and flush twice and it worked pretty well. then i kept running water through it as i let it drain out while i kept it full as the car was running.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you have dex-sludge wow is it hard to get rid of. I flushed my system 4 times replacing the dexcool with Prestone antifreeze, not the prestone dexcool. The Prestone is a dex-clone so no matter which you buy you are still getting dexcool.

I finnally gave up trying to stop the sludge and changed over to Propylene glycol. Aka low tox antifreeze aka Serria and that solved it, No more sludge. NAPA has it, best thing you ever use. It doesn't smell bad either.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:25 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by O2Form
Once you have dex-sludge wow is it hard to get rid of. I flushed my system 4 times replacing the dexcool with Prestone antifreeze, not the prestone dexcool.
Yup, I went through the same thing with my '97Z and '99T/A-that stuff is almost impossible to get out, short of turning the block upside down and shaking it lol...
Old 12-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by O2Form
Once you have dex-sludge wow is it hard to get rid of. I flushed my system 4 times replacing the dexcool with Prestone antifreeze, not the prestone dexcool. The Prestone is a dex-clone so no matter which you buy you are still getting dexcool.

I finnally gave up trying to stop the sludge and changed over to Propylene glycol. Aka low tox antifreeze aka Serria and that solved it, No more sludge. NAPA has it, best thing you ever use. It doesn't smell bad either.
Tell you what I did when my factory power steering cooler put a ton of power steering fluid into my system.............it was large marble sized blobs, they seemed endless while I was flushing it, the blobs were falling onto my driveway for 30 minutes.

I let the radiator drain down, I closed my drain hose and waited till the next morning so my engine was dead cold.........then filled it up with 1 gallon of degreaser and the rest water to top it off. I still had my t-stat out so the water/degreaser would flow from the second I started it. I didn't want the degreaser to get hot.
I ran it for 15 minutes with the radiator cap off so no pressure built up. Then let it sit for about 1 hour. When I opened my drain hose there were no more blobs at all, just black colored coolant. I then stuck a hose in the radiator cap, started the engine and it flushed out crystal clear within 10 minutes..........I let it run and flush for another 10 minutes or so and nothing but clean water came out. Looking into the radiator it made the metal clean like new, where before there was a film of black PS fluid everywhere. It was 100% gone.

That was it. It was a white industrial type degreaser that my stepfather uses at the food plant he works at. Not sure of the name. Good **** though. I think any degreaser will do just fine.

Quick Reply: Dexcool sludge