General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering Wheel not straight after alignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel not straight after alignment

So I had an alignment done as well as new front shocks as well as outer tie rods replaced. Now, my steering wheel defaults to slightly to the left. Is this something that I could fix myself or will I have to live with it?

MODS: If this isn't the right place for this thread, please move it to the appropriate section. I apologize.

:edit: I meant left, not right.

Last edited by ArkBird96; 12-29-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it back to them. Toe setting is most likely off. If they are a reputable shop they will fix their mistake. Did they not drive it after they aligned it? Our shop would have our *** if we let that garbage go out the door.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

have this exact same problem EXACTLY! took it back to NTB and all they did was make my steering feel loose and its still tilted to the left...going back a 4th time hopefully tomorrow, in my experience I wish I would have just put up with it. Cuz now Ive had to put up with it WITH loose *** steering (before it was very responsive) I wish I could align my own car..

Originally Posted by BRUTL
Take it back to them. Toe setting is most likely off. If they are a reputable shop they will fix their mistake. Did they not drive it after they aligned it? Our shop would have our *** if we let that garbage go out the door.
Thats what they told me. After I took it back to them (after they "re-aligned" it) he drove it and said it needs a rack and pinion...stupid ********** there aint no play in the wheel and it wasnt loose until HE fucked with it...

Last edited by Chrismikeb; 12-29-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
have this exact same problem EXACTLY! took it back to NTB and all they did was make my steering feel loose and its still tilted to the left...going back a 3rd time hopefully tomorrow, in my experience I wish I would have just put up with it. Cuz now Ive had to put up with it WITH loose *** steering (before it was very responsive) I wish I could align my own car..
Seems like an epidemic with alignment shops. Your problem may be in the rack and/or tie-rods. But it sounds like you're getting ripped more than I am. I might take it back tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

does the car drive straight with the wheel tilted off to the side? left i assume from your edit. try swapping just the front tires and see if that changes it. i do alignments all the time, and have come across a tire pull a few times here and there. also did they give you a print out of the specs and current reading?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

Should be strait my shop uses a hunter dsp 600 And I'm super **** about that. If you had any play the should not have done the alignment
I would raise hell and get your money back. If they can't do the job right they should take care of you
Just my .02
Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just had this happen to me but its turned to the right a little bit. Car goes straight and doesn't shake and I have two brand new front tires. It's really pissing me off. What could they say is broken or needs replaced. I had to replace the pass side outer tie rod, Should I have replaced them both?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for taking it back. If its a newer machine it should ask the tech if the wheel was straight upon arrival, so if you take it back they should be able to correct it very quickly, toe is the easiest alignment adjustment to make - especially when the tie rods are new.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel not straight after alignment