General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Stuck - Literally

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stuck - Literally

So I'm in kind of a pickle and I need some advice. Bear with me I'm going to be a little long winded.

My car is a 98 z28 and after 130k miles the front end is badly in need of a re fresh. The ball joints all need to be replaced and the bushings in the LCAs are completely thrashed.

The issue I'm having is that the rear bolt on the drivers side LCA is just plain stuck. The nut came off with no problems but the bolt is melded to the frame or something - it just won't come out.

I've tried torching the bracket and wailing on it with a hammer. Got nowhere.
I coated it in PB blaster and wailed on it with a hammer. Got Nowhere.
I coated it in PB blaster and locked two nuts together and cranked on it with a 3 foot long breaker bar. Got nowhere.
I even coated it in more PB blaster and jacked the car up with a jack under the stuck bolt and left it go over night. That didn't do anything either.

Do I have any other options other that cutting it out? I have an air saw and a sawz-all but I'm not sure I can get the blade in far enough to cut through the bolt without messing up the bracket. How easily can I screw things up unbolting the K-Member and dropping the whole engine out of the car a few inches so that I can get a grinder onto the top of the bolt?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Seems you tried everything I would, but I would definetely see if someone has another idea before you drop the motor just for a little bolt. There has to be a better way. Imo

Could you use an air chisle ( I dont think thats how you spell that,lol) to knock the head off?

Last edited by lusting4ls1; 01-22-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: ...
Old 01-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its easily removed using Pb blaster, 1st take a propane torch and carefully heat the exposed parts of the bolt up BUT NOT RED SMOKING HOT just gently heat it up and let it cool back down. Do this 5 or 6 times until its good and heat cycled. Then heat it back up but don't let it cool off and hit it with the PB blaster. BE SURE THE TORCH IS OFF and its not red hot when you do this. You just want enough heat in it to draw the Blaster in...then tap on the bolt until it starts to move. I've removed MANY bolts this way without causing damage to anything. This method also works great on the barke caliper pins, I've removed and saved everyone that was rusted in solid.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by O2Form
Its easily removed using Pb blaster, 1st take a propane torch and carefully heat the exposed parts of the bolt up BUT NOT RED SMOKING HOT just gently heat it up and let it cool back down. Do this 5 or 6 times until its good and heat cycled. Then heat it back up but don't let it cool off and hit it with the PB blaster. BE SURE THE TORCH IS OFF and its not red hot when you do this. You just want enough heat in it to draw the Blaster in...then tap on the bolt until it starts to move. I've removed MANY bolts this way without causing damage to anything. This method also works great on the barke caliper pins, I've removed and saved everyone that was rusted in solid.
I'll try that on my next day off.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

1 million +1 internets to yall. Got it off and I'm heading to the machine shop to get new ball joints and bushings pressed in.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to hear it, I had a similar issue those LCA bolts get siezed to the inner sleeve of the bushing and its a PITA (to say the least) but enough heat, PB, and curse words usually loosens 'em up.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
Glad to hear it, I had a similar issue those LCA bolts get siezed to the inner sleeve of the bushing and its a PITA (to say the least) but enough heat, PB, and curse words usually loosens 'em up.
Don't forget the BFH
Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually tried hammer but I only had an 18" tall jack so I had no room to get a good swing. I'm so papered now, I hate working on a car unless its on a lift.