General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What are you guys using to clean out cooling system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swiat34
Well at least all your stories involve the customer. The Sears I worked at had a guy who regularly forgot to put oil in after oil changes, put brake pads on backwards, did a trans fluid exchange when the new fluid reservoir was empty (so just drain the tranny), Forgot to tighten bolts down on shock and strut jobs...all stuff that should have had him fired...even dropped a car off a scissors lift. That's why I left! They got this dumb-**** workin there and the manager is denying ME jobs so that he can do em...because he's been there longer.

Where I work those kind of people get put on the unemployment list really quick. Lemme guess, your hourly rate was higher or you were flat rate and he was hourly? I hate that ****....

It is so true though, some people do not belong NEAR a car. Maybe just to drive it, and even then its pushing it. They should be taking it to a reputable shop. Thats why labor is so expensive! REAL mechanics have to go to all this training and have to spend thousands of dollars in tools over their career. But no, were all hacks n theives aren't we?
Old 01-13-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No I was on a commission supplemented rate. I got $5.50/hr plus commission based on the job. BUT the manager made me stack new tires, sweep the shop, paint and all that bull **** while he let the other techs do the work. At $15 each, alignments are a big chunk of tech's commission but that *** wouldn't let me do em. I'd gotten my tech 2 certification even but all he wanted me to do was tires and batteries but preach about "if you sell it to the customer, you can do the work." So if I sold brakes, shocks or alignments, he'd make me give the job away. All the techs there made $800 to $1000 every 2 weeks and I was making $600 a month. Complaints to HR and the district manager fell on deaf ears so I told him "**** off" and walked out when it was busy and there was me and one other tech. Despite being so busy, he wouldn't let me do the jobs! So many people left that day too. I cost em thousands. All because I wanted to compete for commission like everyone else. I want to WORK!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That bullsh!t man I would have done the same thing. I'm so glad I found a shop that is actually still Union.....
Old 01-17-2011, 04:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Im guessing Purple Power is fine to use? Weather has been crappy here past few days, so Im planning on doing this in the afternoon.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

WHAT DEGREASER TO USE................

When I did this to my cooling system WELL over a year ago....all I had in the garage was some crazy *** industrial strength stuff that my stepfather brought home from the processing plant he works at. STRONG ****. Pure white and foamed up just a little tiny bit. I did not use Formula 88. I say to use Formula 88 because I've been hooked on it for the past 12 months when someone brought some in to work to clean the bottom of our company jet. Its very strong ****.....probably not as strong as the stuff I used. But its what I recommend for this cooling system flush process. It will work like a charm.

If you cannot find it in your region of the states...try to find the strongest stuff possible. There's not a degreaser out there that will hurt anything assiciated with a cooling system. Maybe go to a restaurant supply store and see what they have, it'll probably be plenty strong. Probably also stronger than Simple Green and Purple Power.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
WHAT DEGREASER TO USE................

When I did this to my cooling system WELL over a year ago....all I had in the garage was some crazy *** industrial strength stuff that my stepfather brought home from the processing plant he works at. STRONG ****. Pure white and foamed up just a little tiny bit. I did not use Formula 88. I say to use Formula 88 because I've been hooked on it for the past 12 months when someone brought some in to work to clean the bottom of our company jet. Its very strong ****.....probably not as strong as the stuff I used. But its what I recommend for this cooling system flush process. It will work like a charm.

If you cannot find it in your region of the states...try to find the strongest stuff possible. There's not a degreaser out there that will hurt anything assiciated with a cooling system. Maybe go to a restaurant supply store and see what they have, it'll probably be plenty strong. Probably also stronger than Simple Green and Purple Power.

http://www.formula88.com/index.html

Quick Reply: What are you guys using to clean out cooling system?