General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1993 Camaro Brake light's don't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1993 Camaro Brake light's don't work

1993 z28- my running lights work, blinkers work, 4 ways work, as does the 3rd brake light. i replaced bulbs and multi switch in the column. When i first plugged in the multi switch they worked. but when i slid it down the column and plugged it in again. And now i only have the 3rd brake light again. i dont understand. Something must have gone wrong sliding it down the column. But im not 100% sure. But i feel when i first plugged it in it couldve been something else but maybe it was juggled around in the column? Im not 100% sure. what do you guys think?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Possibly a brake switch. Hold your hand on the brake pedal and have someone watch the brake lights. With hand on brake pedal, wiggle the brake switch and see if they come on. Its on the brake pedal near the pivot point). Otherwise I would be looking at the multi switch in the column again.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Alright, Ill try that tomorrow morning. and then ill look at the column again. Thanks buddy
Old 01-20-2011, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Alright update. got in the car today and moved it into the garage and the brake lights worked. they came on like normal. Then i pop the hood hit them again and now they dont work. kept trying again and again. and randomly when i closed the hood. they worked again then they stopped again. its so inconsistant. i have no idea. i messed with the column a bit and the wires a little and they didnt even flash. i have not a single clue. the third still works but the others dont. Please guys. need this done before 7-10 before the snow hits! thanks!
Old 01-20-2011, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Another update guys. There are 2 brake switches? but the top one (pink and black/brown wires) is not getting power. non at all. where do those wires go to? one should be live no? I am not sure and my dad is stumped aswell. Please help
Old 01-20-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pink one should be hot with key on. It gets its power from the GAGES fuse in the I/P fuse block. This fuse also powers the airbag module (DERM) and the IPC. Are you having any intermittent airbag lights or IPC problems?

If you dont have power on that pink wire, you might try using a jumper wire to supply power to that pink wire with the key on. Hit the brake pedal then and see if they work. I'll have to check a schematic to see which of those brake switches actually powers the brake lights.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a schematic for you. My brain isnt working right now...too much electrical crap at work today.
Attached Thumbnails 1993 Camaro Brake light's don't work-93brakelights.jpg  
Old 01-21-2011, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

After messing with the wires, replacing some switches, and adjusting them. Now the brake lights work again! thank GOD! thank you guys for all the help!

Quick Reply: 1993 Camaro Brake light's don't work