General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

starting trouble: clicking noise, dry "grinding" noise...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default starting trouble: clicking noise, dry "grinding" noise...

the car is an 02 Z28... I've never had starting problems except a dead battery 2 years ago. Out of nowhere 4 days ago, when starting, the car would make some clicking noises with a bit of hesitation and start. 2 days ago when trying to start, the click noises were there and a terrible dry "grinding" noise and no start. I immediately turn the key back ...wait a few seconds then the clicking would be there and the car started but no dry grinding weird noise.

Today on 1st try, clicking noises, weird grinding noise and no start. On 2nd try the grinding and clicking are there but the car starts. Once it starts it runs like a champ!!

Could it be starter going out? battery?...something else?

The grinding noise is very similar to turning the key all the way forward WHILE the car is running, that kinda dry metallic noise is pretty much exactly how it sounds like

thanks in advance for the help
Old 01-31-2011, 08:34 PM

You nailed it. It's either a weak battery or starter is giving way.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by diagnosticddt
You nailed it. It's either a weak battery or starter is giving way.
Yeah let me try the battery and then I will get the starter if that doesn't work. I read its not hard except that maybe my longtubes will get in the way a bit.

thanks for the info
Old 02-01-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

yea sounds like your starter solenoid sticking, wich would cause the clicking. and if its going out, it is going to make a grinding noise because of the inablility to turn the motor over and just grinding on the armature. hope you figure it out!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Undertow74
yea sounds like your starter solenoid sticking, wich would cause the clicking. and if its going out, it is going to make a grinding noise because of the inablility to turn the motor over and just grinding on the armature. hope you figure it out!
I read somewhere that if you pump the gas a few times before starting and theres no clicking or grinding then for sure its electrical issue.

The last 3 or 4 times I've started it I've done that, and no clicking or grinding. Im surprised that actually worked! You do learn something new everyday! But Im still gonna change the starter

Quick Reply: starting trouble: clicking noise, dry "grinding" noise...