General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1996 WS6 Smells Like gas inside and outside of car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 WS6 Smells Like gas inside and outside of car.

It stinks when i drive and when i popped the hatch and looked back there the smell is real strong but when i look under the car i didnt see any gas leaking.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If gas fumes are really coming into the car then you have some kind of breach somewhere (rust, or maybe your gas tank on top sprung a leak).

If it only smells outside the car its most likely one of the solenoids gone bad and the fumes from the gas tank are backing up in the cansiter in the drivers side quarter panel?

Does it mainly smell outside by the driverws side rear tire after you stop and get out after a drive?

You can spend a year on this site trying to understand the gas tank venting system. Go to a dealer ship parts department and tell them to print out the drawing of the system...then you'll understand it.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the smell mainly comes from the driverside rear quarter pannel. I want to call a mechanic to fix it what part would i have to replace
Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6TransAM510
Yeah the smell mainly comes from the driverside rear quarter pannel. I want to call a mechanic to fix it what part would i have to replace
First check for codes.

The easiest of the 2 is the one attached to the intake. The next easiest one is the one mounted above and a little towards the drivers side of the rear axle, attached to the cars underside.

The one on the intake opens and closes to allow vacuum to suck fumes out of the canister,. The one mounted under the car opens and closes to allow fresh air to enter the canister to flow the fumes to the intake.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Banned

BTW, I have this going on right now too, its been a couple months. The one mounted under the car is $70 from the dealer only, the one under the hood is something like $50. I just decided to wait till my engine comes out to replace them or remove the EVAP system......

The gas you smell is escaping from the canister in the rear drivers side quarter panel. Its coming out because either the solenoid under the hood has failed closed and no vacuum can pull fumes from the canister....OR....the solenoid under the car has failed closed and no fresh air can enter the canister......so a vacuum has formed and no fumes can go from the canister to the intake to be evacuated. OR....the PCM has shut down the solenoid on the intake because it senses that no fresh air is getting in because the solenoid under the car has failed.

Either way....its one of those two solenoids. Unless somehow the canister is clogged or a line got crushed closed.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to remove the whole system. Simple......get a breathable gas cap and call it a day, just have to deal with the smell.
Or......drill a hole in the top of the filler neck and run a line down and to the rear bumper in the center and zip tie it or bolt it in place, so the fumes vent out the rear. Just drill the hole in the top of filler neck right near the cap, so when you fill it with gas the gas nozzle goes past the hole into the neck and doesn't splash out. I think that way will be best and pretty easy and fast to do. Then cap your vacuum port of course.

Quick Reply: 1996 WS6 Smells Like gas inside and outside of car.