General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My car was stolen. How do I prevent this from happening AGAIN?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind most cars are stolen with tow trucks that swoop and are gone in sceonds. ALWAYS turn the wheels hard and park so its hard to get to. Even if you have the ebrake on and trans in gear they will simply drag it away far enough so you can't hear it and cut the brake cables or pick the car different etc.
The GPS is the best idea yet, for drive away thiefs install things that slow them down like shifter locks and steering wheel locks, LOUD motion detector siren with a back up battery.

My jeep came from a bad area and had a few anti theft devices. The siren was insane! It was so loud when it wooood go off you COULD NOT stay near it or in the jeep. It actually hurt you that how loud it was. NO ONE is going to try and steal a car with a hidden siren with a back up battery screaming.

Another great feature you can add is a hidden switch that kills the ignition, its easy to do and if hidden properly no one is going to start your car. If you really want to safe be every night when you park your car pop the hood and pull the ignition relay out. No one is starting your car without that puppy and it only takes 30 seconds or less to remove and install.

Last edited by O2Form; 02-02-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my '98 Z71 stolen a couple of months ago. I feel your pain brother.
As far as deterrents go, I figure multiple is the way to go. Fuel pump kill switch, ignition kill switch, and gps tracking. I am also pondering investing into one of the duel program pcms, keep one tune stock, tune the other with a 3 mph speed limiter and 800rpm rev limiter.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep an eye out for that hood. I can almost guarrantee you that it will pop up on the internet. I would put the word out as far as I could reach. Post some pics of the car on here and a few details that you think might be helpful and we will spread the word. Lots of people with fast cars all kinda hang out in one way or another. Parts like that will come up for sure. You may not catch the guy but atleast you could get some of your **** back.
Just a thought.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
hood lock....
That's a great idea. Which hood lock are you using? Where'd you get it from?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
Keep an eye out for that hood. I can almost guarrantee you that it will pop up on the internet. I would put the word out as far as I could reach. Post some pics of the car on here and a few details that you think might be helpful and we will spread the word. Lots of people with fast cars all kinda hang out in one way or another. Parts like that will come up for sure. You may not catch the guy but atleast you could get some of your **** back.
Just a thought.
You know, that's a great idea. I'll have to search through my digital camera for the pics, but I know that I have them. Thanks for the tip. And yeah, I've been searching through Craigslist for some of the parts, but so far, no luck. I was hopeing for some stupid mistake on their part, but no cigar.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by 98-WS6
You know, that's a great idea. I'll have to search through my digital camera for the pics, but I know that I have them. Thanks for the tip. And yeah, I've been searching through Craigslist for some of the parts, but so far, no luck. I was hopeing for some stupid mistake on their part, but no cigar.
F-that. Search this site and look for a new member who just turned their V6 in to a WS6.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by wssix99
F-that. Search this site and look for a new member who just turned their V6 in to a WS6.
Ha! I've mainly been looking for the hood. I know that's a hot item. So far, no nothing. And my TA still isn't on the roads. I'm looking for a good deal for the fenders, as well as the front bumper....Damn those crooks!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

It still only makes it ONE cam lol.. But anyways.. Sucks to hear that man.. It's just one of those things that happen and there isn't much u can do at the time it happened.. Sucks..
Old 02-02-2011, 07:33 PM

"I'm 19, and I own a '98 WS6. It's my baby. I worked hard for it, finally saved up the couple thousand to buy it, and was happy as hell when I got it. Then I invested over 5K into it with mods (roller cams, headers, CAI, high flow exhaust, etc.) My father is a mechanic and owns the shop, so I use his tools (along with a little of his help ) and have put HOURS into this car."

First of all I would like to say that my hat is off to you for working hard, saving your money and waiting to get the car of your dreams with your own money, not many 19 years olds can say the same! Also spending the time to work with your dad to do your mods and understand how your car works.

It is unfortunate that it was stolen and it hurts even more when you put that much effort into it. I hope you are able to get another one. Like many people have stated if the scum bag thieves want it, they'll get it.

Derek
Old 02-02-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if someone wants it, they will take it.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Save the manuals!

You know... you could disguise the next one as a V6 until you are in a situation where you can garage it. Just get a formula, switch the hood and route the exhaust through a single tailpipe. Most thugs wouldn't know the difference. Later on, you can put the parts back on.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by 00ls1z
It still only makes it ONE cam lol.. But anyways.. Sucks to hear that man.. It's just one of those things that happen and there isn't much u can do at the time it happened.. Sucks..
Yeah, I know. Miscommunication on my part, lol.

First of all I would like to say that my hat is off to you for working hard, saving your money and waiting to get the car of your dreams with your own money, not many 19 years olds can say the same! Also spending the time to work with your dad to do your mods and understand how your car works.

It is unfortunate that it was stolen and it hurts even more when you put that much effort into it. I hope you are able to get another one. Like many people have stated if the scum bag thieves want it, they'll get it.

Derek
Thanks, dude. I've loved TAs forever. My cousin had a formula back in the '90s, and I fell in love with it when he took me for a drive. So I knew when I got my first job that I needed to start saving, so that I could afford the car (and the gas for it, lol).

It just pisses me off that theives don't give a damn. They take what they want.

They didn't tow it, though. I think they opened the door with a slim jim. The key cylinder is destroyed, so I guess you know what happened there.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

When I saw that you said that you were from south florida, I got scared. I live in South Florida too and I don't know what I would do if my car stolen
Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Save the manuals!

They didn't tow it, though. I think they opened the door with a slim jim. The key cylinder is destroyed, so I guess you know what happened there.
What about the VATS system? Did you have it disabled?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by O2Form

My jeep came from a bad area and had a few anti theft devices. The siren was insane! It was so loud when it wooood go off you COULD NOT stay near it or in the jeep. It actually hurt you that how loud it was. NO ONE is going to try and steal a car with a hidden siren with a back up battery screaming.
do you know the brand of the alarm that was on your jeep? or do you remember any details? also what can you do if you get a loud *** alarm system but they cut like a wire to make it stop going off. what kind of protection can you do against that situation?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:48 AM

What about the VATS system? Did you have it disabled?
I didn't. The previous owner did. I got it from an auction "as is". They must've bypassed the system for some reason.

When I saw that you said that you were from south florida, I got scared. I live in South Florida too and I don't know what I would do if my car stolen
Yeah, I'm starting to hate SoFla. My mom's Camry was stolen a year ago, in the same parking lot. The police didn't find that one. Thankfully, the insurance payed for our losses.

You have no idea what the feeling was like. I actually came outside a bit earlier than usual, because I was going to use my compressor to put some air into my tirees because they were pretty low.

First came fury and anger. Then came the realization that they might not find it, and sadness came with that realization. Then I got pissed again after that, lol. I swear, if I had seen the guys actually stealing it, I don't know what I would've done.

Last edited by 98-WS6; 02-03-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

You're a dumbass.

Originally Posted by 99TransAmLS16Spd
Had my '98 Z71 stolen a couple of months ago. I feel your pain brother.
As far as deterrents go, I figure multiple is the way to go. Fuel pump kill switch, ignition kill switch, and gps tracking. I am also pondering investing into one of the duel program pcms, keep one tune stock, tune the other with a 3 mph speed limiter and 800rpm rev limiter.
The point of a kill switch is so that the vehicle wont leave under its own power. Having 2 at the same time is redundant. If you did have a kill switch, spending the money on a dual program pcm would be a waste also.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 02-03-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Does anybody have more information on some sort of hood lock? I googled and searched the site to no avail. Just wondering if any of you had experience with one.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by StormesRacing001
Does anybody have more information on some sort of hood lock? I googled and searched the site to no avail. Just wondering if any of you had experience with one.
With that gorgeous TA you have, I'm not suprised that you want to protect it. I should've done something like that before. But, anyways, if they really want it, the ***** will just tow it. I'm just going to try and make it as hard as possible for them to steal it. If they're going to go througha a kill switch, club lock, hood lock, alarm system, etc., then I don't think anything will stop them. If somebody REALLY wants your car, then sadly there's nothing you can do.

I learned this the hard way. I would never wish this on any TA owner.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Save the manuals!

I didn't. The previous owner did. I got it from an auction "as is". They must've bypassed the system for some reason.
The VATS probably would have prevented it from happening. At very least, it would have been a whole lot harder to take the car. It prevents people from successfully cracking the column. Your next time out, you should probably make sure VATS is working.

But that would make one wonder.... if someone stealing the car knew anything about the car, they should know that the car came with VATS and that cracking the column wouldn't work. So, either a lucky crook took the car or it was someone who knew the car. I wonder if its possible to look up the previous owners? Do you know if it was reposessed from someone before the auction?

Quick Reply: My car was stolen. How do I prevent this from happening AGAIN?