See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

How-To; Steering Column Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Whats the cheapest steering wheel puller gauranteed to work? Or does one of the local parts stores have the loan a tool service?
Old 07-25-2023, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket wheel - computer is freaking out

Sorry for posting in this old thread, feel free to send this somewhere else. I am putting in an aftermarket wheel and have followed the very good threads on this site and others. Got the airbag out and the steering wheel off no problem with the battery disconnected. I reconnected the battery and turned on the ignition so I could confirm what I thought I should see: Dash lights come on then go off as usual except the air bag light should just keep flashing. This is not what I am getting. What I get is both turn signal lights come on and stay on, the air bag light comes and and keeps flashing, the brake light comes on and stays on (parking brake is not pulled), security light comes and keeps flashing, and the low traction control light does a slow flash and with each flash the antilock module in the engine bay clicks loudly. I went ahead and put the resistor between the airbag wires but this did nothing, so then I got the airbag back out and reconnected it and that did nothing. The engine and trans are out of the car but the wiring harness is completely factory and in great condition (the car only has 30k miles on it). The only thing I did between pulling the airbag/wheel and trying the ignition was I replaced the turn signal stalk but I cant imagine why the computer would care about that. Ideas?

1997 Camaro SS
Old 07-26-2023, 03:59 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 355 Likes on 324 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by DOTCOMDOC
The only thing I did between pulling the airbag/wheel and trying the ignition was I replaced the turn signal stalk but I cant imagine why the computer would care about that.
It sounds like some wires are unplugged or crossed in the steering column. Did you touch any wires at the base of the column? If your turn signal stalk has electronics in them, I would also unplug that and see if it a source of the issue. There are many different types of stalks that all look the same but have different switches and wiring.
Old 07-27-2023, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plugged the original stalk back in with no change, and the wires in the column have been untouched and there were no wires to pull on - the clockspring is still in place. But I had an epiphany. The only time I moved the key since I pulled the motor and trans was to turn it to the accessory position to check the stereo (i replaced the speakers) and doing that now it still works fine. I thought the lights were working normally before but I dont actually know that. So maybe I never turned the key to ignition before, and this is just what the dash does when every wire forward of the firewall is disconnected and the key is turned on? I wouldnt know cause why would you ever do that otherwise? I only did it to see what the airbag light did to check my work. So, anyone know what the dash lights do normally when the engine and trans are out and the key is in the on position?
Old 05-23-2024, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Correct torx for steering wheel removal

I was told a 30. I read here a 25. After a lot of cursing Ive found my 1995 is a torx 27. My problem now is the wheel was locked with lost keys in a position where I cant get a straight shot to one screw. What to do?
Old 05-24-2024, 09:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 355 Likes on 324 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Cedonulli
I was told a 30. I read here a 25. After a lot of cursing Ive found my 1995 is a torx 27. My problem now is the wheel was locked with lost keys in a position where I cant get a straight shot to one screw. What to do?
Which screw? The airbag? You should be able to just use a shorter driver.

Can you post a picture of your problem?

Quick Reply: How-To; Steering Column Repair