General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car idleing low! (Gas milage cut in half!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls6427
its not the maf.....maf doesn't come into play until you go wot....and its used for cold starts until you reach 122*f. I think its 122*f....either way its only used for cold starts and wot.

Its not that.......

ok...

Originally Posted by the mighty texan
it's been cold but not that bad, i'm in washington. I noticed my gas mileage had been seeming like i wasn't getting but 10mpg or so, so last night i got a full tank to check here and see for sure. My change oil light just came on and i don't think it's time for a change yet but i should check when i did last and the oil level. anyways, this morning i turn the key and usually there is a gush of power like any other cold start, but this time it barely got going and sounded really weak, i gave it a little gas (only a small throttle blip) an it went to 1200 like normal but then falls very low to around 500 and sounded like it was going to die. Then it gets it's self back up to a somewhat normal running rpm around a thousand. I did this a couple times, same thing. I had to go though so i had to get a ride and check things later. Anyone know what this could be? Plugs? Maf? Fuel line? I haven't seen any leaks i did check that..
Old 02-27-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think with yhe cold start I just had something gummed up.its been doing fine starting up now and yhe clicking I belive is the gasket missing from yhe secondary air. My only problem is yhe bad gas milage now.. Still havent gone through all that injector cleaner yet but.it doesnt seem to be helping much
Old 02-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
I think with yhe cold start I just had something gummed up.its been doing fine starting up now and yhe clicking I belive is the gasket missing from yhe secondary air. My only problem is yhe bad gas milage now.. Still havent gone through all that injector cleaner yet but.it doesnt seem to be helping much
Yea, coupled with the 10mpg problem there's something else wrong. Its not the MAF....lol

But hey...clean it anyway I guess.....lol

I think its time for a scan with a real OBDII scanner so you can see whats going with things while the engine is running.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Can i rent one from the store or what?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Can i rent one from the store or what?
Not that I've ever seen, I think they cost like $4,000 or something like that.

The dealerships have them and almost all mechanic shops. Sometimes they charge like $15.00 to do it, but you have to have someone that really knows how to read everything. Too bad you have no speed shops around you, they would probably do it for free.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

So just go to a chevy dealer or something? I was starting to think it was just due to my short commutes before the engine is able to warm up but 30 to 13 mpg? I kinda doubt it..
Old 03-03-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can pretty much go to any repair shop have them run a scan with a scantool.
I was charged $30 about a week ago.

btw did your car die at any point on that first cold start when you noticed the RPMs jump?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Did it do any good for you did they find what was wrong? No it didn't die it happened once and is running fine at idle now hasn't happened again
Old 03-03-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No everything was reading fine. I was hoping there was a better explanation for a code I had.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Oh shoot, well i guess ill try and find a place then with a real scanner.. Any suggestions?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Havent found a place yet that can do it.. I dont mind working on the engine though because it gives me an excuse to give my car some tlc and make sure its up and running. Still the same problem (half gas mileage) here are the updates:

Tank (with injector cleaner) almost empty at around 150 on the dummy gauge.
Checked resistance on spark plug wires and they are doing fine @ 351 ohms which i believe is standard.
Clicking sound on start up is the egr gasket i need to replace
When i have the hood open and open the throttle quick there is a pretty violent whoosh (sucking) of air...normal? I always thought this was the lid but not sure anymore.
Took off maf and lid to clean and saw that the throttle blade has some gunk (not too much) but a little build up on in. Looks like oil and dirt...normal?
I open the throttle blade and look inside the intake manifold and it looks pretty wet inside...normal?
I noticed my coolent was really low
I just remembered this problem happend half way in winter about the same time i took my ac belt off because it started squeeking really bad, havent been running it sense..maybe i uncovered a vaccum leak?

Im going to try and clean the intake parts up, get that egr gasket ordered.. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help guys, ive read alot of threads on here about bad mpg's im hoping if i can pinpoint this it might help someone else out later on too alot of the threads ive found never post the final conclusion

Heres the pics: 1 and 2 are inside of intake, 3 is the tb
Attached Thumbnails Car idleing low! (Gas milage cut in half!)-1.jpg   Car idleing low! (Gas milage cut in half!)-2.jpg   Car idleing low! (Gas milage cut in half!)-3.jpg  

Last edited by The Mighty Texan; 03-08-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you tried changing the fuel filter yet?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

No not yet, i did it around 2k miles ago so its pretty fresh.. wouldnt that cause it to be running lean though/stuttering/weak acceleration?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

A clogged filter can cause MPG issues also, but that's probably not it since you changed it recently. The egr gasket issue you have is it the large O-ring that fits around the tube going into the intake?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you always get gas at the same station?
If you do try a different gas station, maybe some bad gas.
FYI, Seafoam also works good if you add a can of it to the gas; better than regular FI cleaner in a bottle.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 03-08-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

No just the one connecting the egr to the exhaust manifold on the passengers side. Yeah i wanted to check that so i got this last tank of gas at a different station and no difference.

Someone on here said that when checking the wires you want to bend them and check them too because they can show up fine normal but not work when flexed. However all of them looked good and tested out great when i did it so i dont think there the problem but i may take them off and try it again.

Im going to throw up the pics i took of the TB and inside of Intake manifold

Edit: See post above for pics

Last edited by The Mighty Texan; 03-08-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

As far as checking for vacuum leaks did you try using a small hand held propane torch, just do while the engine is cold. Or have you completely eliminated A possible small vac leak ?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

No i havent checked for vacuum leaks yet, still need to check that and the injectors if i can
Old 03-08-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Remove the PCV valve and clean it out really good with some brake clean, or install a new one, and see if that helps; it can't hurt.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think not having the egr gasket is causing a vac leak, it would be best to get that ordered soon, perhaps fresh air is getting int othe exhaust and messing up the o2s.

Quick Reply: Car idleing low! (Gas milage cut in half!)