General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blinking SES light

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking SES light

when i first start up my car and start driving everything is fine, then it will start to feel like the engine isnt running on all cylinders, kicking and sputtering... the ses light will blink and with about a minute or so of driving its completely fine..

where should i start looking, im about to sell the car and im not the kind of person who will sell something while knowing theres something wrong with it
Old 02-20-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a misfire. I would start by checking all the plugs and wires.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KevinR
Sounds like a misfire. I would start by checking all the plugs and wires.
plugs and wires are basically brand new... only have a couple thousand miles on them
Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what that SES light does? It tells you there's an issue, and it also stores a code. Go to Advance, Autozone, anywhere with an OBDII scanner and find out what the code is. This will point you in the right direction.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silas2k
plugs and wires are basically brand new... only have a couple thousand miles on them
I would double check them and see if they are all seated. But yeah, get it scanned and see what it says.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BRUTL
You know what that SES light does? It tells you there's an issue, and it also stores a code. Go to Advance, Autozone, anywhere with an OBDII scanner and find out what the code is. This will point you in the right direction.
i realize that, but i thought i was told once that a blinking ses light means cylinder detonation and so if someone had had this happen before it would save me the trip
Old 02-20-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Normally, a blinking ses light means a misfire. The code should read p0300.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Teching In

the SES will flash when a miss is so bad it can cause damage to the catalytic converters. it's basically telling you to get this fixed before damage occurs. first thing you need to do is get the codes pulled to try and determine what's causing the misfiring and on what cylinders. i can't remember what year that codes started to give specific cylinders for misfire codes. at first the computer system would give a PO300 for cylinder misfire and wouldn't pinpoint it. as technology improved misfires codes became cylinder specific, PO301 for cylinder 1 PO302 for #2, and so on. sometimes you can go into generic functions of a scan tool and select non-continous monitoring and find the bad cylinder if misfire diagnostics aren't part of the vehicle specific menus. but that's another story in itself.

Last edited by 427bbc; 02-20-2011 at 10:23 PM.