General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

misses bad in the RAIN !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misses bad in the RAIN !!!!

Its a 99 trans am with a ram air hood, when u try to drive it in the rain it misses bad, it acts like its sucking water through the filter. It also does it after you wash it (sometimes).

The only thing I can think of is if it is sucking water through the hood and up through the filter, but if that was the case all ram air trans ams would do it.

Has anyone else had this problem or know if theres some way to fix it. The only thing I could think of would be to block off the hood inlet. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Teching In

After doing a seach, It may also be leaking water in between the hood and windshield, but it usually just does it while driving and not idling. The other thing is an o2 sensor getting wet. Its got long tube headers on it, so maybe water is getting into splice connectors???
Old 02-26-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure you don't have any plug wires that are broken and arcing?
Old 02-26-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a crack in the coil. check your wires and coils. I see that alot
Old 02-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Teching In

already changed plugs and wires and checked the coils, tomarrow im going to change o2 sensors and heat shrink the wires and connectors. Going to seal the cowl between hood and windshield also. Ill reply back if it fixes the problem
Old 02-26-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 sounds like a coil or plug arching when it's wet
Old 02-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by turbotrans am1
already changed plugs and wires and checked the coils, tomarrow im going to change o2 sensors and heat shrink the wires and connectors. Going to seal the cowl between hood and windshield also. Ill reply back if it fixes the problem
If you find that it is the O2 sensors. Buy the Bosch O2s that are for ls1 vetts. They have long wires on them and require no cutting or splicing.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by go-t
If you find that it is the O2 sensors. Buy the Bosch O2s that are for ls1 vetts. They have long wires on them and require no cutting or splicing.
those are the ones that I installed, the ones I took out had a bunch of splices in them without heat shrink connectors, so hopefully that fixed the problem. I went and washed it and it ran fine afterwards. Its supposed to rain tonight so ill know for sure if I fixed it.

The car still has a surge when your driving on the highway and im not for sure what is causing that (this is a separate issue from the missing in the rain). Anyone have any ideas on that