General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

need suggestions on miss fire on coil pack #5

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need suggestions on miss fire on coil pack #5

My ss just got done in the with my build and when it was on the dyno getting tuned I noticed that it was blowing black smoke at a high rpm. It was the #5 coil pack not giving enough spark to the plug. So we switched the #1 and #5 coil pack and it quit and then on the next pull it did it again and fried my plug on #5 coil. Does anyone know what is causing this to happen cause I can't figure it out? FYI the coil pack is still good after we check it

My build consists of fast 102 intake and fast 92mm TB with fast fuel rails and 44lbs injectors. Built stock heads to hold custom grind cam 236/248-607/614 113 lsa. Pacesetters 1 3/4 longtubes with TSP off-road ORY, borla exhaust, 410 with moser axles, msd wires with ngkr plugs, 160 thermostate, new pulleys comp cams timing chain. I think I might of left some things out
Old 03-03-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you pull the spark plug from #5 and check that? It could have some crap on it from when the missfire occured. Make sure its gapped correctly too. Also did you switch the plug wire for #5 to #1 when you switched the coils? Could have a bad wire or bad plug.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Teching In

I pulled the plug out and it was bad after two pulls on the dyno so I replaced that and the wires are new and checked them also and they are still good.