General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steam coming from thermostat housing/lower hose

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steam coming from thermostat housing/lower hose

I changed my water pump last weekend due to it leaking from the weep hole. Its not over heating at all, and i bled the air by filling coolant until it came out from under the TB. Before I got home I got an open stretch of road, so I hit stepped on it, ran at about 80 for 1/4 mile then dropped to 30ish. When I got home I saw a spot around where I was parked so I popped the hood, no leaks or visible wet spots. I did notice steam coming from what looked to be the bottom of the thermostat housing, possibly the lower radiator hose. I didnt change the thermo when I changed the pump, I didnt change the hoses or thermo housing gasket either.

I havent had this car for long and am wondering if I should dismiss it, or dig a little deeper to find the cause.

edit:car is stock besides SLP cai

Last edited by Crispy; 03-17-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldnt hurt a thing to change the thermostat and eliminate it from the possible cause. They do intermittantly stick at times before they fail. Also make sure your clamp on that hose,,,all hoses are tight.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After I thought about, there are too many variables to ask for help here. I just ordered a hypertech 160, new hoses, and clamps. I did the job hastily to get the car running again, which in hindsight I shouldnt have done. I reused just about everything, besides the water pump gasket and coolant.

Quick Reply: Steam coming from thermostat housing/lower hose