General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Reverse light condinsation/fogging problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldent drill a hole. I mean if there is a hole to let moisture out, then it can surely get in. It just wouldent build up like yall have mentioned. I have had this problem before and quickly came to the conclusion that it wasent cracked and was because of the rubber seal. Those seals dry up, plain and simple. Because its so easy to remove the tail lights on these cars its a good idea to keep up with those seals like regular maint. Simply said, that rubber drys up, and doesent seal like it did 10 or so years ago. Simple fix: take all of those gasket/seals off, take some vaseline and rub it all over those bad boys, then put them back on. It would be wise to remove the condensation in the housing with compressed air or a rag and screwdriver before putting it back together. The rubber will in a sense absorb the vaseline and swell up, once again sealing like they should. Ive done it and never had a problem after. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be clear. Good luck on whatever path you take.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
I meant to drill the holes on the bottom of the housings! You have to remove the housings to access them...that way no one can tell you have holes in them. If you drilled the face, no wonder you were concerned about the looks of it...Do this for the DRL housings as well before the reflective surface gets ruined and you won't have a problem in the future as well..
Now you tell me...clever...

This seemed to work though...on the very bottom of the face/outside lens where it starts to curve...3 very small holes...you can't see them at all unless your 6inchs away...
Old 03-25-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ballerado
I wouldent drill a hole. I mean if there is a hole to let moisture out, then it can surely get in. It just wouldent build up like yall have mentioned. I have had this problem before and quickly came to the conclusion that it wasent cracked and was because of the rubber seal. Those seals dry up, plain and simple. Because its so easy to remove the tail lights on these cars its a good idea to keep up with those seals like regular maint. Simply said, that rubber drys up, and doesent seal like it did 10 or so years ago. Simple fix: take all of those gasket/seals off, take some vaseline and rub it all over those bad boys, then put them back on. It would be wise to remove the condensation in the housing with compressed air or a rag and screwdriver before putting it back together. The rubber will in a sense absorb the vaseline and swell up, once again sealing like they should. Ive done it and never had a problem after. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be clear. Good luck on whatever path you take.
This is a fix...the moisture gets dried out through the bottom holes that aren't at all noticable...but cannot get in....looks like new....

This happened over storage period.....I've magic lubed the seals, rtvd it and it stll fogged.....an unnoticable hairline crack can cause this....I really didn't want to drill it...but I was carefull...and it worked right away...looks brand new
Old 03-27-2011, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

always wondered how to fix my reverse light. its just like you said looks like it has a ton of condensation in it, i guess ill be drilling 3 little holes

Quick Reply: Reverse light condinsation/fogging problem