General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Reverse light condinsation/fogging problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse light condinsation/fogging problem

My reverse light housing/lens keeps getting a light water residue on the inside.

Does anyone know if its just a gasket/seal...and how do this come off?

It's in the shop right now and their going to look at it tommorow, but their not sure if the light lens is intergrated into the whole taillight assemembly...
in other words....their not sure...yet

I just don't want this to be an expensive fix if I can just do it myself.

THANKS
Old 03-18-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me guess...drivers side?

There's no fix. Your inner reflectors are going to rust, causing the the lens to appear darker. Light output at night is going to dim down some too.

Mine does it. I've seen several examples of the same also. Just look for a cheap replacement for when the time comes.

Also, I've rtv'd the whole perimeter and still get condensation inside.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

no...its the passenger side....so I just need to get a new lens?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've googled this and only found the same problem with no real answer!!!
only drilling a small hole on the bottom to release the condinsation...
Seems like theirs a better way...Do I just replace it or will it keep happening...dammit..
everythings done and this **** has to happen...drives me crazy..can't drive around with a bumb reverse lens....looks foggy as hell unless it's 80degrees and the moisture dries up.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

ohhhh man....no one else but GSus has an answer...I don't like that answer..lol..****..
I just need to know what I need for a fix/new taillight assembly or whatever...cause I'll order it right now...anyone!!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You need to find out where the water is coming from. Press on the outer surface with your finger to expose any cracks. Submerge the whole front of the lens assembly in a bucket of water to see if water gets in from the face or the sides where the plastic is fused.

If all that checks out and the lens unit is water tight, then you could have bad seals around the bulb. (Those can be replaced cheaply - but you shouldn't have water back there in the first place.)

If you have a crack, there's not much you can do that will be lasting and permanent. If the seam where the plastic is fused, there is a fix for that, which you can find in the thread that talks about re-chroming the reflectors.
The following users liked this post:
k3000 (04-28-2022)
Old 03-20-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My passenger reverse lense is getting condensation as well but Im hopeing that is because my last tailights were cracked and filled with water, so my bulb sockets were still a little damp when I replaced the tails.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just drill a hole in the bottom and be done with it.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah mine does this too. I've just learned to live with it
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 PM

replace it because their obvisouly is a small opening somewhere on where the lense meets the housing, allowing moisture to get in or the seal where the bulb tightens like wssix said.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drill the hole and it won't happen again. I did this with my taillights and DRLs back in 2003 and haven't had issues since. I got the idea while working on a friend's Mercedes and noticed their housings had drain holes in the bottom of the housing.
Trying to seal any gaps will work for awhile, until water gets in another route, then you are left with what you began with.
The following users liked this post:
k3000 (04-28-2022)
Old 03-24-2011, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I rtvd it..sealed what I could....still foggy after a couple of day's...I'll drill the hole and maybe cover it up some with a honey comb decal...just can't learn to live with a bumb reverse light....looks like ****....just like a crooked tailpipe..how can anyone just live with it? I spend toooo much time waxing, cleaning, investing money in my car to just live with hillbilly looking lens..
Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cuz I add money to the car on other mods. All my lights work its just a little darker. I plan on changing it but I always end up spending money on other parts
Old 03-24-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not that it's darker (yet) you can clearly see water on the inside from 20ft away.
looks very white in the morning..anyways..I drilled 3 very small holes in the botton of the lens..it actually seemed to be an ok fix...when I drive for about 5min. the air dries it up and you can't even notice anymore..prob solved...
Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where did u drill the holes exactly?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by justin hover
I rtvd it..sealed what I could....still foggy after a couple of day's...I'll drill the hole and maybe cover it up some with a honey comb decal...just can't learn to live with a bumb reverse light....looks like ****....just like a crooked tailpipe..how can anyone just live with it? I spend toooo much time waxing, cleaning, investing money in my car to just live with hillbilly looking lens..
^^^lol

those are the cards gm dealt. Me personally, I'm looking out for some good lt1 tails. I don't care if they're the v6 base non grid set. I'm going to tint them anyway. I only want the lt1 versions because of the flush reverse lights and the seperate reflectors...gotta keep it somewhat legal.

Last edited by GSus; 03-24-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Stupid iPhone auto correct...grrr
Old 03-25-2011, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bwilde86
Where did u drill the holes exactly?
3 small holes in the very bottom center, left and right corners..you can't even see them and it seemed to work.... and I bought a can of duster to blow/dry it out just incase.. but doesn't look like I'll be needing it.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

3 small holes in the very bottom center, left and right corners..you can't even see them and it seemed to work.... and I bought a can of duster to blow/dry it out just incase.. but doesn't look like I'll be needing it.
Did you drill them on the outside into the clear plastic or behind the tail lights into the housing where the bulb goes?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94T/A5.7LT1
Did you drill them on the outside into the clear plastic or behind the tail lights into the housing where the bulb goes?
On the outside of the lens.....perfect fix....you can't even see the holes unless your face is touching the lens.

I went out and checked it first thing morning..(that's when it looked the worse)..and perfectly clear just like the other one...I did it just in time too.if the chrome reflector would've rusted..which it was on the verge..It would've been clear...but alittle darker...nice fix
Old 03-25-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the outside of the lens.....perfect fix....you can't even see the holes unless your face is touching the lens.

I went out and checked it first thing morning..(that's when it looked the worse)..and perfectly clear just like the other one...I did it just in time too.if the chrome reflector would've rusted..which it was on the verge..It would've been clear...but alittle darker...nice fix
I meant to drill the holes on the bottom of the housings! You have to remove the housings to access them...that way no one can tell you have holes in them. If you drilled the face, no wonder you were concerned about the looks of it...Do this for the DRL housings as well before the reflective surface gets ruined and you won't have a problem in the future as well..

Quick Reply: Reverse light condinsation/fogging problem