General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blinking check engine light!

Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Number one, lets calm down here. Number two, I checked as much as I could, being that I have no tools and very little automotive repair experience. Number three I took it back to the shop, which your right he just checked the code and told me to **** off. I went to my mechanic and they checked everything and told me the issue. And as for doing it myself, I probably could, but the point is I payed my money for a header install and it comes back wit ruined wires, so why should I pay for anything to get it fixed? So with that being said, Thanks for your input sweetpants. Your negativity is greatly appreciated. HAHAHa

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
why come here to the forum and ask questions if your not even going to take the advice and look over the damn car like these guys suggested?

all youve done is take it to your mechanic and he probably just red the codes without looking.

Why dont you check your spark plug wires, and also your 02 sensor wires before you take it to another mechanic.

you can fix all those issues in your driveway. if if missfired and your 02 sensore kicked a code then replacing those is not worth another couple hundred dollar mechanic fee.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

he said that the check engine light was flashing because of the mass airflow sensor was bad?? dude just lied right to your face.. iv seen them not be able to start a car, if that ever happens just unplug it.. most gm vehicles will run with only a MAP or a MAF sensor.. If you unplug one and it runs better then it was with both plugged in, then its safe to say that its that sensor that's unplugged is the problem..

just throwing out my 2 cents about some diagnosing tips..
Old 03-28-2011, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ccrook19
he said that the check engine light was flashing because of the mass airflow sensor was bad?? dude just lied right to your face.. iv seen them not be able to start a car, if that ever happens just unplug it.. most gm vehicles will run with only a MAP or a MAF sensor.. If you unplug one and it runs better then it was with both plugged in, then its safe to say that its that sensor that's unplugged is the problem..

just throwing out my 2 cents about some diagnosing tips..
Yea he said that he unplugged it and it ran the same. So I asked if it ran the same how is it the mass air flow sensor. AND to add he didnt wanna check the codes in front of me. I told him I would wait, how long will it take . He started counting the cars he had in the work area. I said forget it call me.

Just for the record I went to R&E racing in lancaster,ca. If you drive a ford feel free to go here. If its a chevy drive past it and dont look back. Seriously.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A blinking Service Engine Light means you are in immediate danger of doing damage to your catalytic converter, the misfire count is that high. When you have that number of misfires, you have an extreme excess of unburned fuel that ends up burning in your catalytic converters.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476
A blinking Service Engine Light means you are in immediate danger of doing damage to your catalytic converter, the misfire count is that high. When you have that number of misfires, you have an extreme excess of unburned fuel that ends up burning in your catalytic converters.

^I strongly agree to this^
Old 03-28-2011, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I know. The cat is probably already shot. After he told me it was the MAF and basically to **** off, I went home and it was smoking like crazy! I called him and told him that is was smoking and he said it has nothing to do with the header install. Mechanics will tell you anything

Originally Posted by ccrook19
^I strongly agree to this^
Same here, Im just glad I found out why. Im going to try to install the spark wire myself if the shop gives me the run around. They need to replace my cat too, which they probably wont.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SoCalCal
Yeah I know. The cat is probably already shot. After he told me it was the MAF and basically to **** off, I went home and it was smoking like crazy! I called him and told him that is was smoking and he said it has nothing to do with the header install. Mechanics will tell you anything

Same here, Im just glad I found out why. Im going to try to install the spark wire myself if the shop gives me the run around. They need to replace my cat too, which they probably wont.

Ya, its people like that who give Mechanics like "myself" a bad name..
Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

" Mechanics will tell you anything "

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I know you are upset and have every right to be...This statement may be somewhat extreme tho.

Chalk this one up as learning a lesson the hard way, and don't go back to that shop unless you really want to pursue legal action against these guys.

This is where the BBB, references, LS1 Tech and research on local shops can really help.

I really hope there is no major damage done to your car. Good luck to you.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Well let me rephrase that, SOME mechanics will tell u anything. But I did my research. A+ on the BBB, my mechanic shop says they were cool and couldnt believe that they messed something up and arent trying to fix it. I hope theres nothing too serious wrong either. Im going back to see if they care going to man up and repair the parts that they fubar'd. Besides that I got my BBB report already written and ready to go, professional proof of what was wrong and what caused it, and small claims court forms. I dont really want to have to do all that. I just want my car to be driveable.

Originally Posted by SSCAMARO02LS1
" Mechanics will tell you anything "

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I know you are upset and have every right to be...This statement may be somewhat extreme tho.

Chalk this one up as learning a lesson the hard way, and don't go back to that shop unless you really want to pursue legal action against these guys.

This is where the BBB, references, LS1 Tech and research on local shops can really help.

I really hope there is no major damage done to your car. Good luck to you.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just read this whole thread.. I'm really sorry to hear about all this. Firstly this mechanic is an ******* because everything you're describing has exactly to do with the LT install (unlike what he said). Sue the crap out of them..

I recently did LTs on my 02, and when in to the shop to see how much they wanted to do it. Guy goes "Labors $100 an hour, this job is about 12 hours so $1200 + parts." I literally laughed in his face and walked out. Took a leap of faith and did it all myself, so glad I did. Good luck OP
Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02firehawkT/A
Firstly this mechanic is an *******

Yes. First and foremost!!!ASSSSHOLE! But damn $1200 is waaaaaaaaaay too much! Thats $600 each side, They charged me $300 each side, and one is still leaking air. I dont know if I mentioned before but they had my car from the 1st until the 25th. I waited 25days to receive a headache and an anger problem.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
why come here to the forum and ask questions if your not even going to take the advice and look over the damn car like these guys suggested?

all youve done is take it to your mechanic and he probably just red the codes without looking.

Why dont you check your spark plug wires, and also your 02 sensor wires before you take it to another mechanic.

you can fix all those issues in your driveway. if if missfired and your 02 sensore kicked a code then replacing those is not worth another couple hundred dollar mechanic fee.
Well said. x2 on that one
Old 03-29-2011, 04:58 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Blinking SES light means "multiple misfires"....which means you're in immediate danger of possibly losing the entire engine.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

What is a catalytic converter?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

Ok sorry...I'm done with my wise cracks. But really, I hoped you get it back together and on the road. I know what it's like to have a car but not be able to drive it.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

I hope so too..after I spent all my money and waited 25 days to get it.....modern day tragedy....Makes me not trust mechanics even more

Originally Posted by wytry
Ok sorry...I'm done with my wise cracks. But really, I hoped you get it back together and on the road. I know what it's like to have a car but not be able to drive it.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

I am not saying this to be a jerk but if you are going to go down the road of modding these cars you really need to be able and willing to learn and get your hands dirty on at least the basic stuff. I would consider a header install very basic. What I am trying to say is if you lack the knowledge, ability, and tools, to work on these cars, just don't mod them. You learned a tough lesson already. I just hope you can find a good trustworthy mechanic or have a friend that knows these cars.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Well, I finally got to talk to the dude face to face. He trys to tell me that he neva had to touch my spark plug wires when installing my headers. Then he tells me its a coincidence and its not because of him. Then he trys to insult me by asking me do I even know where my sprak plugs are. HAHA very funny... I told him if thats how you feel then just wait on the paper, ill see you in court. Then he wants to explain and talk, after hes been ducking me since yesterday. So to make a long story short the resolution is that I buy the wires and he will replace them for free. Which works for me. I dont want to just sue to get money, I just want my damn car.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to read about your experience. That is no way to treat a customer at all, they are a shop's livelyhood. I don't agree with you saying that mechanics will say anything, because that's not true. I'm in the process of opening my own shop and I would never treat a customer the way he treated you, but that's the difference, I stand behind my work. I hope your issue gets resolved asap.

Matt
Old 03-29-2011, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

No way to treat a customer!!!! its coo though. I learned a valuable lesson. Whats good though? Im down here on my socal camaro boy tip. Check your facebook. As for the shop issue though im over it . He's gonna install the wires when I buy em. If anything else becomes an issue I have to go ahead and let the courts deal with it.

Originally Posted by BlueMagicSS
Sorry to read about your experience. That is no way to treat a customer at all, they are a shop's livelyhood. I don't agree with you saying that mechanics will say anything, because that's not true. I'm in the process of opening my own shop and I would never treat a customer the way he treated you, but that's the difference, I stand behind my work. I hope your issue gets resolved asap.

Matt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blinking check engine light!