General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blinking check engine light!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blinking check engine light!

So, I just had my headers and gears installed. I got the car back yesterday after 3 weeks!!!!!!! Ive been driving like an elderly person to break in my gears. I go to start another heat cycle for the gears, start the car and I notice my check engine light blinking. I rev it to 4k and it shakes bad. I'm going back to the shop monday. But in the mean time what could the problem be? I dont have a way to check the code. Thanks for any feedback.

Cal
Old 03-26-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

blinking codes from my experience arent good. i wouldnt drive more than you have to.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Yea, I didnt even drive it after that. I turned it right off and came in the house. Mad, hurt, and upset lol. The shop had itfor 3 weeks and I have it for one day and now this.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Teching In

my brothers impala was doing the same thing blinking check in..engine light and was running like poopy.we replaced the distributor cap and she run like new. did she bog down around 2k rmps?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Misfires is what it's saying, I'd look first for a loose / damaged
plug wire (only time I've seen the blinking light) and then for
a damaged O2 sensor harness since you were messing around
down there.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brians4thgenmaro
my brothers impala was doing the same thing blinking check in..engine light and was running like poopy.we replaced the distributor cap and she run like new. did she bog down around 2k rmps?
what yr was this that it had a distributor?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Teching In

we have a true 1996 impala ss with the lt1
Old 03-27-2011, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks jimmyblue. Do you think the cause of this is due to the header install? Because I am truly pissed that I had no problems before the header installation. I feel like the shop is going to say its my fault and get some more cash out of me.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Flashing is multiple misfires. Check for burned plug wires, especially with a new header install.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

If you can pull the code(s), it will tell you which cylinder is misfiring.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cracked plugs or burnt wires. If you just had headers installed, im gonna go with burnt wires
Old 03-28-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Most likely a plug wired got toasted. But I had a blinking SES light when a lifter stuck and snapped a pushrod in half...definitely a misfire. Good luck
Old 03-28-2011, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

I just got back from the shop. He tells me is the mass air sensor that gave a code, o2 sensors, random misfire. And for him to diagnose it I have to pay. WTF...Then when I get home my cat is smoking bad and the car is stuttering like it wants to cut off. He said the header install has nothing to do with those problems, but keep in mind my car was running just fine before the header install. Now all of a sudden im having these issues due to "the car is an older car, things go wrong over time" as he says. I guess im going to have to sue.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalCal
I just got back from the shop. He tells me is the mass air sensor that gave a code, o2 sensors, random misfire. And for him to diagnose it I have to pay. WTF...Then when I get home my cat is smoking bad and the car is stuttering like it wants to cut off. He said the header install has nothing to do with those problems, but keep in mind my car was running just fine before the header install. Now all of a sudden im having these issues due to "the car is an older car, things go wrong over time" as he says. I guess im going to have to sue.
IMO....you could be getting the 02 sensor code because when he put the headers in an 02 sensor wire was touching the header. That would also cause misfires because the 02 sensor is acting up. Maybe he didn't put the wires tucked behind the heat shield on the drivers side and they got melted. This happened to me years ago when my tranny was out and the tranny guy moved the wires around and one was laying on the header down by where the sensor screws into the collector. It melted through...then I had instant misfiring and loss of power.

Put it in the air and check all the 02 sensor wires. Make sure they are not touching any exhaust piping.

Also, pop your hood......make sure there are no spark plug wires touching any exhaust manifold piping....AT ALL. They cannot touch any metal AT ALL.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Did you route the plug wires over the valve covers and use heat sleeves on the plug boots? This is an LT1 right? If not you NEED to do that or you will melt the wires. I bet you thats what has happened. Replace all wires and route them over the valve covers.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
IMO....you could be getting the 02 sensor code because when he put the headers in an 02 sensor wire was touching the header. That would also cause misfires because the 02 sensor is acting up. Maybe he didn't put the wires tucked behind the heat shield on the drivers side and they got melted. This happened to me years ago when my tranny was out and the tranny guy moved the wires around and one was laying on the header down by where the sensor screws into the collector. It melted through...then I had instant misfiring and loss of power.

Put it in the air and check all the 02 sensor wires. Make sure they are not touching any exhaust piping.

Also, pop your hood......make sure there are no spark plug wires touching any exhaust manifold piping....AT ALL. They cannot touch any metal AT ALL.

Im about to take it to another mechanic and let them find out and put it in writing and make the other shop fix what they fubar'd...

Originally Posted by bmartin8
Did you route the plug wires over the valve covers and use heat sleeves on the plug boots? This is an LT1 right? If not you NEED to do that or you will melt the wires. I bet you thats what has happened. Replace all wires and route them over the valve covers.

I didnt do anything!!!! I took it to a very reputable shop that seems to have installed my parts like I payed them with a 18 pack of natrual light....smh
Old 03-28-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SoCalCal
Im about to take it to another mechanic and let them find out and put it in writing and make the other shop fix what they fubar'd...

I didnt do anything!!!! I took it to a very reputable shop that seems to have installed my parts like I payed them with a 18 pack of natrual light....smh
Wait....Natural Light comes in 18 packs???
Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wytry
Wait....Natural Light comes in 18 packs???

Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

why come here to the forum and ask questions if your not even going to take the advice and look over the damn car like these guys suggested?

all youve done is take it to your mechanic and he probably just red the codes without looking.

Why dont you check your spark plug wires, and also your 02 sensor wires before you take it to another mechanic.

you can fix all those issues in your driveway. if if missfired and your 02 sensore kicked a code then replacing those is not worth another couple hundred dollar mechanic fee.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

I just came back from the mechanic. Its the spark plug wires. The pulley in the front was grinding on the wires because the shop didnt place them back in the holders. Im really pissed off. Its crazy how negligent these "professionals" are.

Quick Reply: Blinking check engine light!