General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blinking check engine light!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:49 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too much to read, so here is my opinion. Little if any chance the MAF is bad. Would be a cruel coincidence if so. They probably smacked a plug installing the headers or f'ed up a plug wire or O2 sensor/wiring. Gears have nothing to do with this equation. Forget about that shop, they are in defensive mode. Gonna have to bite the bullet and fix yourself or pay another shop.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476
A blinking Service Engine Light means you are in immediate danger of doing damage to your catalytic converter, the misfire count is that high. When you have that number of misfires, you have an extreme excess of unburned fuel that ends up burning in your catalytic converters.
Not totally true. I had a specific situation with my car where I did a converter swap and a tune at the same time and with the new converter the car needed a CASE relearn so I was getting a flashing SES light which the computer thought was a misfire but was not a true misfire, the computer just thought it was because it needed the CASE relearn due to the different converter being attached to the flywheel. Even with the light flashing the car ran fantastic and I drove it almost 200 miles that way with no issue before I was able to get the CASE relearn done. There are situations where it might not be a true misfire if the ECU has bad sensor data.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really NEED to rout those wires over your valve covers and use heat sleeves on the boots. LT1s are notorious for burning up plug wires and boots. Do this NOW and you wont ever have to worry about it. Also, did you get locking header bolts? LT1s like to spit header bolts out like an inexperienced ex girlfriend. Do yourself a favor and do all of this once and you wont have to return to those mechanics.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bmartin8
You really NEED to rout those wires over your valve covers and use heat sleeves on the boots. LT1s are notorious for burning up plug wires and boots. Do this NOW and you wont ever have to worry about it. Also, did you get locking header bolts? LT1s like to spit header bolts out like an inexperienced ex girlfriend. Do yourself a favor and do all of this once and you wont have to return to those mechanics.
Im leaning towards the over the valve cover route. Im not sure of the header bolts. I think they used the stock ones. After they run these wires for me I wont be returning.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

you said he'd replace them when you buy them?? when are you going to buy them?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by little_chewy_69
you said he'd replace them when you buy them?? when are you going to buy them?
Im looking at jegs now. I have been waiting for my replacement credit card for 11 days ! But it looks like I have to dip into my bill money! As soon as I decide on a brand im ordering.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Well, this thread is worth - - - - - -

This is what makes everyone say "all" shops are ran by crooks.

Sad really, hard to find people that care about their work.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:13 PM

Default Blinking check engine light

Originally Posted by SoCalCal
So, I just had my headers and gears installed. I got the car back yesterday after 3 weeks!!!!!!! Ive been driving like an elderly person to break in my gears. I go to start another heat cycle for the gears, start the car and I notice my check engine light blinking. I rev it to 4k and it shakes bad. I'm going back to the shop monday. But in the mean time what could the problem be? I dont have a way to check the code. Thanks for any feedback.

Cal
My Camaro lt1 light was doing the same thing, found spark plug wire off

Quick Reply: Blinking check engine light!