General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

'99 Z28 M6 - Electrical Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '99 Z28 M6 - Electrical Gremlin

'99 Z28 M6, 210K miles ......

My first electrical issue involves the stereo and power windows. When I finish my commute, I pull into a parking spot and turn the engine off. As you know, the stereo and power windows will work at this point, until you either open the door or sit for several minutes (5? 7?) and the power automatically shuts off. The Monsoon stereo was replaced by a previous owner; I have an aftermarket Kenwood in there now. This problem is new ... just within the last week.

The other day I pulled into the parking space as normal, and turned off the engine. And I noticed that the stereo shut completely down, and the power windows would not work. When I restarted the car, everything worked fine. This has happened several times now. This morning, I got in the car and started it up. No power to the stereo and the power windows would not operate. A minute or so later, I noticed the stereo lights come on, and the windows would work.

Anybody got any ideas on this problem???????

Second issue is the Coolant Temp gauge. This afternoon, I noticed that it is not working. Where is the sensor for this located in the cooling system? I figured I would check that first.

Thanks

Bill

Last edited by billscamaros; 04-05-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

For #1, there is a sticky in the electrical section on RAP issues. Its probably a broken solder joint in the BCM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Launching!

wssix99 - sorry, do you mean the stereo/electronics section? I neglected to mention that the Monsoon stereo is long gone, removed by a previous owner years ago. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Never mind, I think that I found the section that you're talking about ... it's in this "general maintenance" sub-forum, contained in one of the stickies above. Everything was working normally today ... but I'll pull that BCM out this coming weekend. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by billscamaros
Never mind, I think that I found the section that you're talking about ... it's in this "general maintenance" sub-forum, contained in one of the stickies above. Everything was working normally today ... but I'll pull that BCM out this coming weekend. Thanks.
yea, sorry about that. Its the flickering sticky in the General section.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:42 AM
Launching!

Default Additional Gremlins

To follow up with the original BCM issue ... I pulled it and checked the solder joints. All looked fine and I re-installed the BCM ... which seemed to clear up the problem! Everything was fine until about six weeks ago when the same issue started happening again. Suspecting that I really just had a problem with the BCM connectors, I pressed on the connectors to ensure that they were seated well. The problem went away again, making me believe that the connectors are the issue.

So ... this morning ..... I'm on my pre-dawn 60 mile commute to work, cruising down the four-lane at 65 mph in traffic.

The radio power died, the radio lights go out and so I tried the power window button. Nothing. Not a big deal at this point, because I now know to press on those connectors. This no longer bothers me.

But a new gremlin appears!!!!! Almost at the same time as the radio does it's spasm .... I hear a click from the left side of the dash (I'm assuming from the fuse panel), and all of gauge lights go out, all of the idiot lights (seatbelt indicator, "check gauges" light, every idiot light on the gauge cluster) all illuminate, and the trip odometer resets to "0".

The car continues to run ... although I momentarily assumed that I had stalled out and I quickly shifted lanes all the way to the right so that I could coast onto the shoulder. The car had not stalled, the idiot lights stayed on for about 20 seconds and then everything was back to normal. I continued my commute to work with no further issues.

So, anyone have any ideas on what happened? I saw the other thread on the gauge cluster problems, specifically on the '99 models. Mine is a '99 with approximately 229K at this point. Are the BCM and gauge cluster issues related, or is it just coinincidence that both happened at almost the same time? At this point, I'm planning to get it home tonight and then maybe to the local Chevy dealer for some diagnostics, assuming that there is some testing that they can do.

For those who have experienced a gauge cluster problem ... does this cause the engine to die at speed? That's my big worry ... that I'll be cruising along at 65 mph in traffic and have the car totally die and go dark.

You folks always seem to know the answers .... any thoughts?

Thanks

Bill
Old 12-14-2011, 05:26 AM
Launching!

No gauge cluster issues during the homeward commute last night or this mornings commute. Intermittent issues ... gotta love them!!

Does anyone know if the Body Control Module (BCM) has anything to do with power to the gauge cluster, which is what I think my cluster problem was ... the cluster momentarily lost power.

Someone suggested that the cluster glitch yesterday could be due to a loose battery connection. Sure enough, the negative terminal connection was slightly loose. So I tightened that up yesterday.