General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How long do you guys let ur cars sit before changing the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long do you guys let ur cars sit before changing the oil?

With college and the DD the car definitely doesnt see the miles between oil changes so im wondering, at what point in time should the oil be changed if its on full synthetic? 4-5 months?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say once a year is fine as long as the oil doesn't look gray. Gray looking oil is a sure sign condensation water has accumulated into the oil. There are a few sources that put water intio the crankcase, oone is combustion (aprox 1 cup of water per gal of fuel burned get past the rings) and when the outside temp drops below dew point the air looses its moisture as condensation and that can cover everything inside the engine. Alot depends on where you live too. Northern climates are much worse because of the constant up and down temps day and night.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:38 AM
Launching!

When you say "sit" I take it you mean sitting with little to no movement (winter). I usually change the oil right after/before getting it out for spring. So the 4-5 months would be close. Another thing I have been told to do when the car sits for an extended amount of time is to fill the gas tank to let as little room for condensation as possible.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you say "sit" I take it you mean sitting with little to no movement (winter).
pretty much, im driving it about once every 3 weeks now
Old 12-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive my car about that much right now, but only in the spring/summer/fall. Probably around 1,500-2,000 miles a year. I change my oil once a year in the late fall right before I put it away for the winter. I'll use that same oil all of the next year.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:49 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The easier, better thing to do would be just to drive the car at least once every two weeks. Sure, you're sparing the car undue stress by using a different daily driver car, but the worst thing you can do is just let the car sit for months at a time-that kills cars too...
Old 12-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Launching!

1hour.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I drive my car about that much right now, but only in the spring/summer/fall. Probably around 1,500-2,000 miles a year. I change my oil once a year in the late fall right before I put it away for the winter. I'll use that same oil all of the next year.
This.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used to be picky about oil but now with 170,000 miles I feel like everything is pretty legit.

To answer your question, I change my oil in the April when I get the car out and again in July. In your situation I would let new oil in a motor sit for 2 years before I would change it.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In your situation I would let new oil in a motor sit for 2 years before I would change it.
wow really? the change oil light is on now but i know how unreliable that thing is......i think im gonna go with the twice a year plan if im driving it so little
Old 12-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Teching In

I do two oil changes a year. One when it comes out of storage and one when it goes back into storage. I only put about 3000 km on the car last year. The oil looked fine when it came out.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

i always change mine when i get it out, before i even start it, and then once during the summer. i like to do it when i pull it out so that if there is any moisture in the crankcase it will hopefully drain out with the oil. i always followed the same pattern with my motorcycle too (2007zx6r) and i have never had a problem with either of them. i always use full synthetic in both of course.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
why dont you change it when you get it out and start with fresh oil. let the old oil sit over winter??? just seems logical.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mischief007
I do two oil changes a year. One when it comes out of storage and one when it goes back into storage. I only put about 3000 km on the car last year. The oil looked fine when it came out.
and why waste perfectly good oil by changing it before storing it only drain out this fresh oil and replace with new in spring????
Old 12-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by moge11
why dont you change it when you get it out and start with fresh oil. let the old oil sit over winter??? just seems logical.
It was mainly due to suggested advice on Bob is the Oil Guy - their theory was that the combustion byproducts that inevitably end up in the oil were acidic, and leaving those in the engine for the entire winter was a bad idea. Others suggested that decent oil that still had some life left should be able to neutralize that acidity, but there wasn't much data to back either claim up that I could find.

It probably doesn't matter either way, so I change it right before I put it up for the winter (although I'll run it a few times after the oil change to make sure everything is circulated well).

New(ish) oil over the winter will, at most, collect condensation from the temp changes in my garage. That'll be burned off after the first drive I take in the spring, so it shouldn't really matter.

Haven't blown the engine yet, and it isn't for lack of trying.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by O2Form
I'd say once a year is fine as long as the oil doesn't look gray. Gray looking oil is a sure sign condensation water has accumulated into the oil. There are a few sources that put water intio the crankcase, oone is combustion (aprox 1 cup of water per gal of fuel burned get past the rings) and when the outside temp drops below dew point the air looses its moisture as condensation and that can cover everything inside the engine. Alot depends on where you live too. Northern climates are much worse because of the constant up and down temps day and night.

a whole cup of water is added to the oil for every gallon that is burned...?!?!?!?!? doesnt seem right. does it evaporate or something or am i missing something here?
Old 12-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned

The pcv system pulls most of the water vapor out.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by moge11
and why waste perfectly good oil by changing it before storing it only drain out this fresh oil and replace with new in spring????
The oil has been in there for about 6 months. I use conventional oil, no synthetic here so in 6 months time it is black. What I could do (to ease my mind) is to send the oil out for analysis to see how much life is left still. I've always changed the old oil out before storing and change it out again after storage. It is just two oil changes a year. I know people who still change their oil every 3 months or 5000 km. That is overkill these days.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000***camaro***ss

a whole cup of water is added to the oil for every gallon that is burned...?!?!?!?!? doesnt seem right. does it evaporate or something or am i missing something here?
Yes, when oil is at operating temperature there isn't going to be any liquid water in it. The vapor will get pulled out via the PCV, which is one of the reasons motors with a working system can have longer oil change intervals than those that that don't.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Launching!

So what's the general opinion on this matter. Change before storage or after? Or both?

Quick Reply: How long do you guys let ur cars sit before changing the oil?