General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Seat won't move all the way forward?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power Seat won't move all the way forward?

Wife went to go drive her TA after I had driven it and the seat wouldn't go all the way forward and up like it usually would. Has no problem going forward at all. As it goes forward it kind of seems to come to a slow halt before it won't move any further.

Is the motor potentially worn out or bad or is there something else I should look at first? Anyone else had a similar problem? Search turned up with nothing similar.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Is this with the engine on or off? (These seats use a lot of power and if you have a bad battery, etc. that could be it.)
Old 04-11-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Happens with the car on and off. Stops at roughly the same position. Have let it run for a bit to try and build up a good charge in the system and still no change. Could a weak/failing battery still cause the issue after running for a while still? Not producing enough load or something maybe?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Don't think its electrical. Maybe the seat is binding on something. Have you looked under the seat while you move it? Is there anything underneath there.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Completely cleaned the interior out a few weeks back and pulled everything out so if something got underneath I would be clueless as to how.

Maybe when I had the seat out I banked the motor unit and left a indent on it and its stopping there? Might take it out again today if I have time and see what I find. Will post back up.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Na - look again. A lot of times when I clean out my car, I end up pushing a scraper or something else further up there.

You may also try turning on your rear defogger when you operate the seat and see what happens. Your defogger/seat circuit breaker may be going bad and overheating as you move the seat. (I'd bet this is it if you don't have an obstacle under the seat.) If your defogger goes off when the seat stops, that would point to the circuit breaker - they wear out pretty easily.

BTW - You are crazy for letting your wife drive your car...
Old 04-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine done the same thing, ended up a bolt that holds the track to the seat bottom had come out and fallen in the track. Would slide forward until the bolt
hit the end of the track. Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by ls1okie
Mine done the same thing, ended up a bolt that holds the track to the seat bottom had come out and fallen in the track. Would slide forward until the bolt
hit the end of the track. Hope this helps.
Hmmm. Maybe something fell in the track when the OP cleaned the car?

This has happened to me also, but I caught the issue before I moved the seat. (Had to look for my missing screw.)
Old 11-15-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear head racing for God

I have a 2002 WS6 and my drivers seat wont go forward it will go up and down and back and the lumbar works but the seat wont do anything not even make a clicking sound when i try to move forward, any advice?

Quick Reply: Power Seat won't move all the way forward?