General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Air conditioning + Southern Heat

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Air conditioning + Southern Heat

Hello all,

Uncle Sam just plopped me deep into southern Alabama for a year, and needless to say...it's damn hot here. I have an 01 WS6 with 60k on the clock. With the air conditioning on full blast, it's comfortable, but by no means freezing in the car...simply cool. When I had the car elsewhere, full blast AC made the air coming out of the vents uncomfortably cold. In this ungoldy heat, I actually want that painfully cold capacity, as it will help bring the car out of the oven-like state of sitting in the sun faster. Is it possible my system needs recharging/servicing, or is it simply doing everything it can to fight the 100+ degree outside temperature?

If this helps diagnose the situation at all, when I turn the heat to AC, I do indeed hear a faint "clunk" as I'm supposed to. Also, when the AC is on my car sounds like it has a supercharger, I hear a pretty serious whine. When I turn the AC off, it goes away.

Last edited by cascadesys; 05-15-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thats odd. My ac seems to work best when its the hottest outside.
How long have you let it run before you decide its not as cold as before? I know my ac takes a long time to get cold especially when its hot outside and the car has been soaking in the heat.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few years back I let my car sit garaged for almost 2 years. I would start it every so often but never did I turn on the AC. Once I started driving the car again I had no AC at all. The system was too low. I filled it and it was good to go and ever since then it it typical that I have to put in about 1 can every year. I've never replaced any other parts in the AC and don't plan on it if I can do easy 1 can maintenance ever year. I'm in Tampa, I know what the heat is like!
Put a can in, don't over charge your car and chances are everything will be fine.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Right, your charge may be a bit low. Other things to check:
- Make sure your AC condenser is clean on the radiator. If its dirty or you have roadkill implanted on the face of it, etc. it will lower the system efficiency.

Make sure you can hear the "thud" when you move your temperature control all the way from hot to cold. This is the sound of the flapper completely blocking off hot air flow. If not, you could be bleeding air off the heater, which works against you.

Then... think cool thoughts...
Old 05-15-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell
A few years back I let my car sit garaged for almost 2 years. I would start it every so often but never did I turn on the AC. Once I started driving the car again I had no AC at all. The system was too low. I filled it and it was good to go and ever since then it it typical that I have to put in about 1 can every year. I've never replaced any other parts in the AC and don't plan on it if I can do easy 1 can maintenance ever year. I'm in Tampa, I know what the heat is like!
Put a can in, don't over charge your car and chances are everything will be fine.
Sounds like the seals dried out and are causing a leak. Running the A/C every once in a while is a good habit (even in the winter) because it helps lubricate the seals.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the system is overcharged, it causes the same issue so dont just throw some freon in it to see what happens. make sure the condensor is free of bugs and litter so that its getting full heat exchange ability. I would agree that making sure the flappers are moving correctly may be needed. I had my car in georgia for two summers and it dealed with the heat just fine.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cascadesys
Hello all,

Uncle Sam just plopped me deep into southern Alabama for a year, and needless to say...it's damn hot here. I have an 01 WS6 with 60k on the clock. With the air conditioning on full blast, it's comfortable, but by no means freezing in the car...simply cool. When I had the car elsewhere, full blast AC made the air coming out of the vents uncomfortably cold. In this ungoldy heat, I actually want that painfully cold capacity, as it will help bring the car out of the oven-like state of sitting in the sun faster. Is it possible my system needs recharging/servicing, or is it simply doing everything it can to fight the 100+ degree outside temperature?
The number one thing that people NEVER do is take the condensor out and clean it. I mean clean the outside of it.
Over the years they get clumped up with everything from bug to birds to sticks and other debris, and you can't really see it all in the clogging up the little cooling fins until you actually remove it.

Its a little job, but you can have it out in about 30 minutes. You have to lose the refrigerant or maybe have a shop capture it, then replace it later after you put the condensor back in.

Either way.....its the problem you're having. I clean mine every 2 years. When I do the A/C is exactly how you describe.....it actually causes pain when it blows right on your hand or face for awhile.

I'm in South Florida.......my A/C is WAY colder than it needs to be. Ice cold.

Here's mine back in 2003 when I did it the first time after driving my car for 5 years. Now I do it every 2 years. Condensors aren't too expensive....you could just get another one.

I would estimate that my cooling area was 50% totally blocked.

Attached Thumbnails Air conditioning + Southern Heat-dsc01668.jpg   Air conditioning + Southern Heat-dsc01669.jpg   Air conditioning + Southern Heat-dsc01670.jpg  

Trending Topics

Old 05-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If this helps diagnose the situation at all, when I turn the heat to AC, I do indeed hear a faint "clunk" as I'm supposed to. Also, when the AC is on my car sounds like it has a supercharger, I hear a pretty serious whine. When I turn the AC off, it goes away.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cascadesys
A serious whining sound.....thats not good. A/C systems are supposed to be 100% silent....at least mine is.

But if the compressor is spinning, then its doing its job, noise or not. Unless it grenades inside, but then you'll have ungodly noises.

YOU NEED TO CLEAN YOUR CONDENSOR.....REGARDLESS. These F-Body's are 9-13 years old now. They need to be cleaned every couple years in our cars because of the air dam scooping up **** for years and years. Its worse than most cars. Dirty condensors, in our cars, are the root problem for many systems that stop blowing cold, especially in real hot summer climates.