General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

99 T/A Brights lever won't engage

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011 | 08:28 PM

Default 99 T/A Brights lever won't engage

My friend has a 99 T/A since new, she told me about a problem with the headlites & I checked it out. 1st, the passenger side headlite is super bright & the other 3 are very dimmed. So I changed the bulb, low beam #4703 & the same problem, super bright & the others are still super dim. There is no corrosion at all with the plugs, especially here in Phx, Az. Now the turn signal switc-when I pull the lever toward me to turn on the brights it is loose & there is no "click", also the blue bright dot does not light up either in the cluster. My friend said that the lever used to click & not be so sloppy loose. So is this switch bad I assume or another component? Please let me know if you can.
Thanks, BF...
Old 06-19-2011 | 08:34 AM
Save the manuals!
15 Year Member

For the headlights. Try checking the voltage at the headlight connectors. That may be telling.

For the highbeams: The lever actuates a rod in the column, which engages a push switch at the base of the column. You can take the lower instrument panel off and see where the rod contacts the switch. If the rod is in the socket and pressing on the switch, its probably just a bad switch. If not, you may have something broken in the rod/lever mechanism. This thread has some other information: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...er-switch.html