General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacing Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by slikrider20
Ok so i took my whole column completely out (so much easier to see what the heck is going on) And this piece pictured below just fell out. Is it supposed to be connected somehow? If i put it in, and move the high beam lever back and forth, it trys to push OUT, and won't make the clicking sound as it pushes the lever down the column. If i apply pressure on the outside of this piece as the lever pushes down, it will click. It just so happens the other column i acquired this piece fell out too. I don't know if they are both broke or they are both just supposed to fall out. Either way, my brights will not work without me pushing down on this piece to keep it from trying to push down instead of out. I loosed the 2 adjuster bolts by the switch on the bottom all the way up and it still doesn't click. What the ******* ****.
I assume you found the correct place for this part? It floats freely and is what allows your high beam to work with the tilt column.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See previous post. I'm at the part where i'm trying to get the clock spring out of my spare column. I don't see how it's going to come up with that huge connector at the bottom. It looks like i could slide it easier the other way but it doesn't look like i can disconnect the clockspring wire from the clockspring.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Save the manuals!

#14 - What year is your car?

#15, 17, 19 - You were probably using the wrong size bolt with the puller. Did you remove the lock nut? Our steering wheel takes a special size that doesn't come with all puller sets. See step #13 in my linked how-to.

#21 - See step #21.A in my linked how-to. The connectors you need to take apart are different than the picture but the method is the same. You need to put a tool or paper clip in to the connector body to depress the tang that holds the terminals in to the connector body. The terminals/wires will then come out of the connector so you can pull them through. BTW - Be sure to take a picture of things before you do this so you can find the right positions for the wires when you re-assemble the connector.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
#14 - What year is your car?

#15, 17, 19 - You were probably using the wrong size bolt with the puller. Did you remove the lock nut? Our steering wheel takes a special size that doesn't come with all puller sets. See step #13 in my linked how-to.

#21 - See step #21.A in my linked how-to. The connectors you need to take apart are different than the picture but the method is the same. You need to put a tool or paper clip in to the connector body to depress the tang that holds the terminals in to the connector body. The terminals/wires will then come out of the connector so you can pull them through. BTW - Be sure to take a picture of things before you do this so you can find the right positions for the wires when you re-assemble the connector.

I appreciate the time you've spent holding my hand through this. Never messed with this much wiring or any steering columns before for that matter.

My car is a 98. It doesn't say what size the bolts are but i managed to find some that worked and used a little pb blaster and the wheel finally came off. And i'll try the paperclip method here shortly. GM doesn't make anything easy do they?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

I can't get it with a paper clip. I absolutely can't splice the wires and re connect them?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by slikrider20
I can't get it with a paper clip. I absolutely can't splice the wires and re connect them?
Not safely. GM has a special kit for places where SRS wires must be spliced, but its a lot easier to get the terminals out.

I don't remember the exact connectors from the clock spring, but expect that there is a yellow one for the airbag and another one for the steering wheel controls. (If you have them.)

Sometimes, the connectors have a "lock" that slides in to the back of the connectors to further retain the terminals. If that's the case, then you'll have to remove that first.

If you can get the new terminals out, you can always cut the old connectors off inside the car if doing this is tough under the dashboard. (You'll never need them again.)

If you can post a pic of the front and back of the connector giving you fits, I should be able to give you some other pointers.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
Not safely. GM has a special kit for places where SRS wires must be spliced, but its a lot easier to get the terminals out.

I don't remember the exact connectors from the clock spring, but expect that there is a yellow one for the airbag and another one for the steering wheel controls. (If you have them.)

Sometimes, the connectors have a "lock" that slides in to the back of the connectors to further retain the terminals. If that's the case, then you'll have to remove that first.

If you can get the new terminals out, you can always cut the old connectors off inside the car if doing this is tough under the dashboard. (You'll never need them again.)

If you can post a pic of the front and back of the connector giving you fits, I should be able to give you some other pointers.
I just have the yellow one. I removed the outside of it as you can see in this pic. I've tried wedging just about everything i can find including paper clips,bobby pins, small screwdrivers, and i can't get the wires out. I already ripped my old clockspring wires out.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

Long story short, i just said forget it. I'm just going to run with an unhooked clock spring and an airbag light.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well then buy a new steering wheel and just delete the air bag all together. Might as well shave off that weight.

Quick Reply: Replacing Steering Column