General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

synthetic oil in high mile car

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I bought my 01 SS with 136k on the clock. First 2 oil changes I used Mobile1. I've since changed to Castrol Edge and my valvetrain noise disappeared.

Next oil change for the Escalade (LQ9) I ditched the Mobile1 and used the Edge. Guess what? Even my wife could notice how quiet the motor itself was running.

I'm sold on Castrol Edge. I as well have noticed my oil getting cleaner and cleaner when I change it.
What Viscosity are you using with Edge? My last oil changed I changed to 5w-40 Full Synthetic Mobile 1 and my valvetrain was noticably louder. First time I changed the car since I bought it about 2 month ago. So I had no idea what the previous owner used.

Last edited by ALBurgZ28; 07-13-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:53 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

5w30. I'm not bullshitting about this. There was a big difference in valvetrain noise.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I bought my 01 SS with 136k on the clock. First 2 oil changes I used Mobile1. I've since changed to Castrol Edge and my valvetrain noise disappeared.

Next oil change for the Escalade (LQ9) I ditched the Mobile1 and used the Edge. Guess what? Even my wife could notice how quiet the motor itself was running.

I'm sold on Castrol Edge. I as well have noticed my oil getting cleaner and cleaner when I change it.
I'll have to try it out!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
Ain't nothing wrong with Pennzoil. Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra are very popular synthetic oils around here and other car circles as well. You can't HURT anything by switching to synthetic, so I say why not unless cost is an issue. If a leak pops up then fix it. The idea of keeping dino oil around just to deny a potential problem isn't wise...
i been to a couple forms and some said that penzoil has too many detergents...
Old 07-14-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too many detergents? That's an interesting thought.

Pennzoil Platinum is one of the better widely available oils on the market, and so is Ultra which is the same base-stock (Shell XHVI) with an improved additive package.

As far as valvetrain noise, obviously additive packs are different between manufacturers and even between product lines of the same manufactures. Also keep in mind that one brand 5W30 will not have the same viscosity "curve" as another brand's due to differing base-stocks, and type and amount of VII's. You can look for the real data on the product data sheets. The HTHS is arguably the most important since it is probably most analogous to the operation of the oil at operational temperature in an engine. If you are somewhere in the 3-3.5 range you are probably fine in an LS1. Castrol's data is a little skimpy on their data sheets though (they list the "minimum specs" typically and not the actual specs). German Castrol 0W30'd spec for HTHS is a 3.5 FWIW.

If you want to learn a lot about oil, I would suggest avoiding taking too much advice on car forums and go somewhere like bobistheoilguy. If you believe in used oil analysis there are usually a lot of them posted for various cars, engines, and oils.

One last bit... All oil will thin if you heat it up, like in racing for example. If you are overheating your oil then the correct thing to do is get an oil cooler. Excessive viscosity is a bandaid and will cause excessive wear at low and regular temperatures.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can't go wrong with castrol, they have excellent sludge protection from what i've heard and read.

After my routine oil change intervals with mobil1 full synthetic via the dealership package, I'm considering castrol gtx, or amsoil.. maybe RP
Old 07-19-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Synthetic oil causes leaks because it has uniform molecules. Conventional molecules are uneven size which causes seals to swell and hides problems. I'm surprised no one has said that yet. Bob is the oil guy is your friend.

Quick Reply: synthetic oil in high mile car