General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-13-2016, 03:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Low Coolant Light Keeps coming on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure... you could just unplug it because you think you'll notice when it gets low.... In my case the coolant wasn't getting low, the sensor was getting gummed up with oil. That's right oil in the coolant... but not from a head gasket. Porus lifter bores was the final diagnosis. Factory defect, wouldn't have discovered it if it weren't for the idiot light. GM replaced the block free of charge, post warranty. I don't know how common that problem is but they flew an expert from California all the way up to Halifax Canada to be sure that's what the problem was before they offered to foot the bill.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by '99DeadulusWS6
Sure... you could just unplug it because you think you'll notice when it gets low.... In my case the coolant wasn't getting low, the sensor was getting gummed up with oil. That's right oil in the coolant... but not from a head gasket. Porus lifter bores was the final diagnosis. Factory defect, wouldn't have discovered it if it weren't for the idiot light. GM replaced the block free of charge, post warranty. I don't know how common that problem is but they flew an expert from California all the way up to Halifax Canada to be sure that's what the problem was before they offered to foot the bill.
As mentioned 01-02 F-bodies didn't even come with the sensor, so were does that leave us?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
As mentioned 01-02 F-bodies didn't even come with the sensor, so were does that leave us?
Don't believe everything you read on the internet! (I believe the same radiator was used 00-02, which would have the bung for the sensor.)

If you don't have a sensor, do you know if your radiator is stock?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Don't believe everything you read on the internet! (I believe the same radiator was used 00-02, which would have the bung for the sensor.)

If you don't have a sensor, do you know if your radiator is stock?
I removed the stock radiator myself, and replaced it with a becool, I can assure you there was no sensor, nor was/is there any wiring running to that area.

Edit: your right, 00-02 have and 98-99 have different part numbers, 00-02 did not come with the bung of the low coolant sensor, GM eliminated it. unplugging it on a 98-99 would be an upgrade, lol!

Last edited by TransWS6Am; 07-26-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:26 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

you could just leave it unplugged, but I think if it came with the car it should be in working order. to just unplug or disconnect things is kind of ghetto.
on my 98 SS, the power steering cooler was leaking power steering fluid into the cooling system. The PS fluid was gumming up the coolant sensor, causing a false low coolant light. replaced the PS cooler tube, flushed and filled PS and cooling sysytem and problem solved.

It took me a little while to figure out where my PS fluid was going. I got a cooling system pressure tester free from Autozone. When I pressurized the cooling system, air bubbles were obvious in the PS resevoir.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
I removed the stock radiator myself, and replaced it with a becool, I can assure you there was no sensor, nor was/is there any wiring running to that area.

Edit: your right, 00-02 have and 98-99 have different part numbers, 00-02 did not come with the bung of the low coolant sensor, GM eliminated it. unplugging it on a 98-99 would be an upgrade, lol!
The 00-02s ave an upgraded water pump. Maybe that made GM engineers sleep better? My sensor saved me from a bumb 99 pump. Even if the new pump design is perfect, I still like the extra monitoring.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djfury05
Just unplug the harness from the sensor and be done with it. If you are relying on a sensor to tell you when to check maintenance items than you are asking for a problem. 1/2 the sensors on these cars are worthless anyways.
Bump/Resurrect

I unplugged the thing in my 99 and still get the light. Anyone know hoe the signal gets transmitted? If I need to put a resistor across the contacts?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Easy fix go to autozone and get the lifetime sensor everytime the light comes on go get another one. I have had mine in a couple months no light so far. Tried cleaning my stock sensor with no luck. It was high like $50 but never have to buy another one. Autozone honors the lifetime good too on my second starter.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sabersaw30
Easy fix go to autozone and get the lifetime sensor everytime the light comes on go get another one. I have had mine in a couple months no light so far. Tried cleaning my stock sensor with no luck. It was high like $50 but never have to buy another one. Autozone honors the lifetime good too on my second starter.
Great point. I have that with my alternator and starter.
But if pulling the sensor plug kills the light for everyone else, it makes me think the problem is something else. Internal maybe.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:48 AM
Save the manuals!

I'd firs check to make sure the right thing was unplugged and the light is indeed the low coolant light. (something makes me think another icon on the cluster looks similar). If so, your sensor wires could be shorted out to each other.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,756 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Welcome back old thread!

Originally Posted by wssix99
The 00-02s ave an upgraded water pump. Maybe that made GM engineers sleep better? My sensor saved me from a bumb 99 pump. Even if the new pump design is perfect, I still like the extra monitoring.
Do you know what was upgraded about the pump for '00-'02? I know that the pulley was changed, and the gaskets were upgraded post-'98. I didn't think the actual pump was changed until 2004 though (or whenever the T-stat housing was updated....think that was '04).

FWIW, my stock '98 pump has never failed, but my stock '02 pump began to weep around ~90k miles or so. So if it was in fact an "upgraded" design, it can and does still fail.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Do you know what was upgraded about the pump for '00-'02?
I have no idea. I just came across this bulletin which detailed the part cross-references between old and new: http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pd...064.pdf#page=2

The change-over struck me as odd. I figured it was because the originals had some sort of chronic defect or the combined thermostat/outlet design has some advantage. Maybe the switch was in support of the Holden Monaro/Pontiac GTO, which went in to production around that time?

Quick Reply: Low Coolant Light Keeps coming on.