General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window Motor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Window Motor Issue

So shitty thing happened. I replaced my passenger side window motor, put it up and down a couple of times, then it **** out on me. All I get is a click whenever I hit the button. The window is the whole way down, will that be an issue when I take the motor back out again? Is there some other issue I should look at seeing how quick this one died, or was it just bad luck? Thanks.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

bad luck?
Old 07-31-2011, 01:02 AM
Banned

I can't be of much help, except sharing my experience with it. My driver side window died a few months ago. The thing would go down all the way just fine, but when I had to raise it up again it'd get stuck half way and just make a grinding sound and go nowhere. So I had to manually pull the thing up while holding the button down to get it to move.

I went to www.rockauto.com and bought a window motor AND regulator for about $70. A friend of mine who had experience with these did all the work for me. Took about 2 hours, noticed the new window motor/regulator goes up and down MUCH faster.

My 2 cents, check the regulator too, that might be your problem.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:46 AM
TECH Resident

It went up and down fine when I put the new motor in...I think I just a motor that was messed up. They are both dorman and it was only $25 for the pair off of ebay, so I guess Im not out to much. Its not going to hurt anything when I take the motor off with the window completely down will it?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd bet the regulator is binding or the switch is going bad. A quick electrical test for power at the switch will confirm if the switch is bad. If you have power/ground at the switch and power/ground at the motor, it needs a new motor and regulator. Its the most commonly replaced body component on these cars. A new motor will only fix it temporarilly. I've posted on this a bunch of times because I see people killing themselves for no reason. Don't ever replace just the motor, its harder and won't fix the problem. Do the motor and regulator together its really easy if you take your time the first time around.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
It went up and down fine when I put the new motor in...I think I just a motor that was messed up. They are both dorman and it was only $25 for the pair off of ebay, so I guess Im not out to much. Its not going to hurt anything when I take the motor off with the window completely down will it?
A good rule of thumb with motors it to pay the extra money locally to get a warranty. Are you sure its the new dorman design? Did they look like the old motors?

Before you give up, double check the connector with an inspection mirror and by feel. The stock connector is really difficult to get on the motors and it may have come loose.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Ill check the motor and switch when I pull it today. What Im really kicking myself for is that the passenger side wasnt even broken. It was starting to slow down a lot so I figured I might as well do it since I was replacing the drivers side as well....Guess I should learn to leave well enough alone. At least this leads me to believe that it is not a regulator issue for that side. It was just a shitty replacement motor.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Try & get your money back from the E-bay guy!

I Had the Same Prob. I got 2 Dorman OE Solutions 742-150 Window Lift Motors from Amazon for $20.79 Ea. LOL I Thout I had goten a good deal too...
I tested before reinstaling & thay wuldent lift the reg buy its self just downe!
This is a link to a post that tels how to fix/mod the Lift Motors (if y cant get your $$ back) & to remove just the Motor by driling holes in the door.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tors-pics.html
My replie is on page 2 with more info on what to remove, to get it out with out having it @ the 1/2 way point if you dont want to drill your doors. mine was stuk closed may be ezer in the downe pos, but not shure :/ also the bolts that came with the cheep 1 wer to smal leting the gear skip & had to play with it a lit to get a good contact. the 1 i got from auto zone came with the right sise bolts & thear was no prb with the gear skiping. when you have it out plug it back in & try geting it to the 1/2 way point by helping it & zip tie the regulator before removing the Motor. (thers a pic in my post) mine was 100% ded so i used some long zip ties to hold the reg from releasing the spring, removed the motor, then pressed it to the 1/2 point & had my GF add some more zip ties well i held it

Good Luck! George #4
Old 07-31-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Id try to get my money back, but I bought them like 4 months ago and just got around to doing the install. Besides it would be at least 50% of the price to ship them back for a new one. I will try the second one and see what happens. If this craps out too I guess Ill just be going for one from the auto parts store
Old 07-31-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
At least this leads me to believe that it is not a regulator issue for that side. It was just a shitty replacement motor.
Or the brand new motor couldnt move the old regulator?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Good news. Pulled the motor out and tested it and it worked. Put it back in and everythings good. I think I may have tightened it down to much or at a slightly wrong angle. Either way its good as new now. Thanks for all the suggestions