General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

**Changed my differential oil today... PICS

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do your wallet a huge favor and dump that Mobil synthetic PATHETIC oil and get some PLAIN jane regular gear oil and put it in there. I know your mind is saying but M1 gear oil is fantastic and its great and mobil advertises the **** outta it and everyone swears by it..............trust me on this GET RID of it. The tiny bearings in your rear that have to deal with the HP load of the LS1 engine are going to be very unhappy with m1 joke oil. They are going to reward you with a huge repair bill in about 20k miles.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

limited slip additive is not REQUIRED in the torsen diff......but recommended by GM to cut down on the "screw" noise
Old 08-14-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's an interesting point. The Mobil-1 75W-90 I've been using already has LS additive mixed in, so I may be benefitting from it without realizing it.

With that said, I've run RedLine Lightweight Shockproof lube for years and it has no LS additive. No noise with that stuff. Only reason I switched was an emergency refill and the only stores open on Sunday were the chain stores.

Speaking of which, if you haven't checked your diff vent to ensure it's clean and functional in a few years, that's a good idea...
Old 08-14-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by O2Form
Do your wallet a huge favor and dump that Mobil synthetic PATHETIC oil and get some PLAIN jane regular gear oil and put it in there. I know your mind is saying but M1 gear oil is fantastic and its great and mobil advertises the **** outta it and everyone swears by it..............trust me on this GET RID of it. The tiny bearings in your rear that have to deal with the HP load of the LS1 engine are going to be very unhappy with m1 joke oil. They are going to reward you with a huge repair bill in about 20k miles.
I'm not a Mobil-1 fanboy, but I'm hoping you'll post some data to support your claim.

Per my earlier post I'm running a fill of their 75W-90 and things are as quiet as ever. I'll be draining it before I hit the road course in Sept/Oct and going back to RedLine, of course.

Their 75W-140 lube is up to $19 per quart, more than RedLine or Amsoil which are top-shelf stuff. No thanks.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about to change my oil in the rear too. My car is a tick under 80k miles and I have never changed it in the two years I have owned it. I'm starting to get some noise so I think an oil change is in order. Did you have to remove your sway bars or anything to get to the cover?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea it looks like water got in there.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crainholio
I'm not a Mobil-1 fanboy, but I'm hoping you'll post some data to support your claim.

Per my earlier post I'm running a fill of their 75W-90 and things are as quiet as ever. I'll be draining it before I hit the road course in Sept/Oct and going back to RedLine, of course.

Their 75W-140 lube is up to $19 per quart, more than RedLine or Amsoil which are top-shelf stuff. No thanks.
I've rebuilt a few 100 rears.....trust me stay the hell away from M1 synthetic and honestly I've had the best luck with plain old standard gear oil. Syntheics might be high tech and make you feel like you did something good but they are CRAP!. I've had lots and lots of carrier bearings fail using syhthetic gear oil. Premature wear etc..... nothing goes in my rear end except plain old gear oil. My fav is Shell Rotella.

Do a little test...dump a little M1 gear oil on something then try wiping it off with a rag or paper towel, then try the same with plain jane good old regular gear oil. Report back.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Hmmm... It's been well over 10k miles since I've added Mobil 1 in my rear.

Everything is Silky smooth.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:19 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

X2 on the above. I've stayed away from Mobil 1 lubes forever. In the early days of synthetics, they were the only game and the stuff was better.

When it comes to rear end lubes that won't be replaced for a long time, I'd reach for any good quality non synthetic. Torco makes a nice RGO dino juice based lube, if you can find it.

Some somewhat related info: If you have a Eaton limited slip differential, you CAN NOT use a synthetic lube.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ruthless909
Hmmm... It's been well over 10k miles since I've added Mobil 1 in my rear.

Everything is Silky smooth.
I'd get it out of there...don't say you were not warned.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

I've rebuilt a few 100 rears.....trust me stay the hell away from M1 synthetic and honestly I've had the best luck with plain old standard gear oil. Syntheics might be high tech and make you feel like you did something good but they are CRAP!. I've had lots and lots of carrier bearings fail using syhthetic gear oil. Premature wear etc..... nothing goes in my rear end except plain old gear oil. My fav is Shell Rotella.
No disagreement here on M1. Back when I worked on Mercruiser and OMC boat drives, we used Valvoline 80W-90 and the stuff stuck to everything. However, it came out very black and thicker than it went in after a few seasons of pulling water skiers.

Which is why I like RedLine stuff. Stands up to hard use on road courses, very sticky also.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Did this a few weeks ago and took about 30 minutes, super easy and straight forward.

There is literally horror stories about every kind of diff fluid out there, but in reality, use whatever you want and you will probably be fine. I did a lot of reading and research and this is the consensus of what I read:

-Royal purple has been blamed for a few rear end failures (may or may not be legitimate?)
-People bitch about mobil1, but usually dont have a reason
-No matter what you do, or what fluids you use, someone on tech will tell you you're an idiot.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Did this a few weeks ago and took about 30 minutes, super easy and straight forward.

There is literally horror stories about every kind of diff fluid out there, but in reality, use whatever you want and you will probably be fine. I did a lot of reading and research and this is the consensus of what I read:

-Royal purple has been blamed for a few rear end failures (may or may not be legitimate?)
-People bitch about mobil1, but usually dont have a reason
-No matter what you do, or what fluids you use, someone on tech will tell you you're an idiot.
Not true....I'm a experienced rear builder. ANY OIL!wooooood be better than M1 gear oil IMO. I've seen brand new carrier bearings WORN BADLY using M1 in 20k miles. ITS GARBAGE!

If you're that set on using M1 at least buy the 140 weight, at least that has extra moly but its WAY over priced.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
I'm about to change my oil in the rear too. My car is a tick under 80k miles and I have never changed it in the two years I have owned it. I'm starting to get some noise so I think an oil change is in order. Did you have to remove your sway bars or anything to get to the cover?
No you dont have to remove the sway bars, although they are kind of in the way when getting the bottom scres out, but if you use an extension u will be fine.

here is a helpful step by step.........
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/lubeoil.htm

scroll to middle
Old 08-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Damn I had no idea that mobil 1 was no good.

I do agree with mastertomos however that for every single product out there, there will be atleast ten people who tell you that it is no good.

But since 02FORM has rebuilt a lot of rear ends, his advice is hard to ignore lol

Its just hard to go against what my manual says, it says synthetic gear oil and lsd additive.

I don't know now, maybe next summer ill just switch to dino oil, but then I won't be following the manual recommendation....

So 02FORM, is it just M1 synthetic that is "garbage"? or all synthetics?1
Old 08-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Banned

The light weight M1 is the worst, the heavier 140 weight is ok BUT It wooooodn't go in my rear. Let me explain something to you all, synthetic oils are for FUEL MILEAGE! not for saving wearing and tear on your vehicle. On paper they look good but in the real world even the CHEAPEST regular gear oil will protect better than most synthetics. Amsoil is one of the best and i've tested it in some rears...............I don't use it. Like I said before my fav rear oil is Rotella or Redline regular gear oil. I've trried some synthetic blends but my experience is synthetic oil tend to be very thin and the result is noise and leaky weeping pinion seals and in the lite weight 10 bolt our fbodies use WORN CARRIER BEARINGS. Those bearings in our rears take a beating, you must use a heavy gear oil.

Synthetics claim to fame is higher temps and fuel mileage. Let me ask you when the last time your rear was at over 400 degrees? What they don't tell you is your rear needs oil that clings to everything and stays put. It aint NEVER gonna get hot ever enough to cook regular gear oil.

Trust me on this, if you use the 75-90 M1 in your rear you will be changing the carrier bearings in time. I've seen them worn badly after as little as 20k miles using 75-90 M1. I know of a guy that bought a brand new Ford truck, 1st thing he did was change both rears to 75-140 M1 at 75k BOTH REARS NEEDED CARRIER BEARINGS!. They were wasted!

Do my test, dump some gear oil on something and try wiping it off with a rag. If it wipes off easily buy something else. Good gear oil stays where its put.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Regular

Which non-synthetic gear oil/weight would you recommend?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Where's the "like" button for O2form's post? OH WAIT, here it is:

O2, I wasn't able to find a non-synthetic gear lube on Redline's website. Because of this, I was considering the one Lucas non-synth lube. Which Redline lube is their non-synthetic?

Over the years, I've known about "climbing gears oils". Schaffers has one but it's a synthetic. Has anybody tried the Moroso straight 90 weight climbing gear oil?

I'm running an Eaton posi and a synthetic lube CANNOT be used. But everybody already knew that, right?

Last edited by Paul Bell; 08-16-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Teching In

I would agree with the water contamination. I changed mine and it was just black and smelly.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to hijack the thread but I am not sure if my car has an auburn or torsen rear. I should probably change the diff fluid because while the car only has 22,700 miles on it its probably never been changed since the original stuff was put in back in '99 and I'd like to know what kind of fluid I would need. Is there a code on the door sticker which would reveal what kind of differential the car has or is the only option to open it up and took?

I know the code for the gear ratio is GU2 - 2.73's, not that that really matters but is there a code like that for the rear diff?

Want to make sure I get the right kind of oil to protect my investment

Quick Reply: **Changed my differential oil today... PICS