General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC compressor help..AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC compressor help..AGAIN!

so i replaced my AC compressor with a duplicate compressor that is made in china! because i couldnt find an original oem compressor so i bit the bullet and bought it for 300$!!! along with dryer and condenser. it was perfect for like 2 months and today suddenly it died! with a knocking sound the store wont replace compressor parts and now am screwed! are original GM compressors worth buying? or is it the same story? i will ship this from the US, it will cost like 100$ to ship. is it worth buying? also, are used low mileage compressor an option or should i stay away?? thanks.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After you installed that compressor did you notice a little squealing noise when you cranked the motor up? Like a flapping belt noise that would go away when you switched the A/C on? Or would go away after a few minutes of driving? Cause I am and I just installed a NEW chinese compressor 3 weeks ago. So far so good, just that noise is killing me, I'm thinking it's inferior internal parts.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

not a single noise. it was quite like new i was so happy about it the first month, hell i was VERY pleased when i drove the car today it was 116 and my hands literally froze! then i stoped at a u turn and the ac went off!! parked it at home and there goes your ticking noise
Old 08-25-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not that i like chineese products, but you did add the right amount of compressor oil? i have always chosen factory parts over aftermarket.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

it might be a slow leak that is letting air into the compressor.. i wouldnt run it untill you get it checked out by a shop..
Old 08-25-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check the fuses and relays.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Chinese crap.......why would you do that? There are OEM compressors all over the internet, ebay, and about 20 other places that ship worldwide.

Anyway...get a compressor from www.rockauto.com I think a couple of them have a 2yr warranty, you'll have to check on that though.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

guys i did the installation by a professional workshop that i always dealt with! and this is not my first time doing it. oil was filled and all but its the chineese crap :@. and i live in middle east, it took me a week to find this compressor so i jumped all over it. shipping from USA to here will cost a lot, that is 20$ per lbs am going with oem and see what happens!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
guys i did the installation by a professional workshop that i always dealt with! and this is not my first time doing it. oil was filled and all but its the chineese crap :@. and i live in middle east, it took me a week to find this compressor so i jumped all over it. shipping from USA to here will cost a lot, that is 20$ per lbs am going with oem and see what happens!
I guess you had no choice. $20 per pound....damn.
Where you getting the next compressor from?

Side note: I used to fly into Dubai 6 times a month for two years, love that place. We always stayed at the Emirates Hotel. I flew cargo on the Boeing 747. I remember once flying a Carrera GT in there along with our regular cargo one time. A guy and his 17 yr old son showed up to claim it. It was the kids birthday gift......... hahahaha So much money there.

Here's a picture I took of it in our main cargo hold.

Attached Thumbnails AC compressor help..AGAIN!-carreragt001.jpg  
Old 08-25-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

^ holy **** that is sexy haha. whos kid was that lol! next time you better let me know when your coming! haha id really go crazy for free shipping!..dubai is a definitely nice place minus the weather but i gotta tell you it rocks in winter! anyway am going to GM dealers here and request a compressor, last time i checked they asked for 500$ and like 2+ weeks to get!! they are a*sholes to deal with but i gotta do it right this time
Old 08-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

^ holy **** that is sexy haha. whos kid was that lol! next time you better let me know when your coming! haha id really go crazy for free shipping!..dubai is a definitely nice place minus the weather but i gotta tell you it rocks in winter! anyway am going to GM dealers here and request a compressor, last time i checked they asked for 500$ and like 2+ weeks to get!! they are a*sholes to deal with but i gotta do it right this time
I never, ever go to the dealership for anything....except A/C repairs. About 5 years ago my original compressor failed. I said screw it.......instead of getting 30 day, 60 day or 90 day warranties on a remanned one at a local shop and gambling it would last, and definitely have to pay labor charges again, I paid something like $800 for a new compressor and other parts at the dealership. BUT...they gave me a LIFETIME parts and labor warranty. So I will never pay for an A/C repair again. A couple years after I had that work done a wire going to my compressor got fried.....I pulled in and they replaced it for free. Took about 1 hour and I left. So thats one thing I paid a dealer for....but I'm worry free from here on out with my A/C.

***I have no idea who it was that bought the car. We just had the company paperwork saying that a private citizen bought space on the plane for his new car and they would come to pick it up. Our ground crews (loadmasters) handled it all, but they were standing in the terminal waiting for us. I would guess they paid $5,000 for that car to fly from Munich where we took off, to Dubai.
Oh yea, I remember the heat, it was silly. We had hot days there where it took me 4-5 minutes to start one engine.....lol And I had 4 of those big turbines to get going.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

I might be going to Singapore in 3 weeks, for about 6 months to do a bunch of flights around that area. But we do have allot of flights that go to Dubai and Kuwait. I'll PM ya if I go.....

Old 08-26-2011, 06:11 AM
TECH Addict

^ problem is the dealership wont give that life time warranty thing! i will have to go back and check with them..i really cant even think of driving the car with no ac here ...and those trips are amazing man must be a lot of fun to go to all those places
Old 08-26-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ problem is the dealership wont give that life time warranty thing! i will have to go back and check with them..i really cant even think of driving the car with no ac here ...and those trips are amazing man must be a lot of fun to go to all those places
one of the reasons they dont offer a lifetime warranty is, there are a lot of backyard mechanics that shouldnt touch a wrench let alone a car. having worked for gm a dealer along with some foreign crap who dont offer lifetime either, i have seen a lot of guys who buy parts and have asked me how does this go on or is this my problem. and yes we always tried to help the guy out when we could, my boss was always taking returns on electrical stuff which is printed right on the reciept NO RETURNS ON ELECTRICAL. while advance and o reillys and all those other chains may offer lifetime warranty's, they have to because they know most of it is junk.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jam01
one of the reasons they dont offer a lifetime warranty is, there are a lot of backyard mechanics that shouldnt touch a wrench let alone a car. having worked for gm a dealer along with some foreign crap who dont offer lifetime either, i have seen a lot of guys who buy parts and have asked me how does this go on or is this my problem. and yes we always tried to help the guy out when we could, my boss was always taking returns on electrical stuff which is printed right on the reciept NO RETURNS ON ELECTRICAL. while advance and o reillys and all those other chains may offer lifetime warranty's, they have to because they know most of it is junk.
its totally different scene over here, ive seen parts made in china or india! with the chineese company name packed in acdelco boxes with made in usa oem bla bla written all over it! or you find some stupid cheap parts cost 3 or 4 times the price from USA including the VERY expensive shipping..let alone the stupid mechanics. am giving it another shot this week, ill buy oem compressor and do the install my self and have the dealer recharge it to add proper oil amount and refill. hope it lasts!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Banned

its totally different scene over here, ive seen parts made in china or india! with the chineese company name packed in acdelco boxes with made in usa oem bla bla written all over it! or you find some stupid cheap parts cost 3 or 4 times the price from USA including the VERY expensive shipping..let alone the stupid mechanics. am giving it another shot this week, ill buy oem compressor and do the install my self and have the dealer recharge it to add proper oil amount and refill. hope it lasts!
You have a GM dealership there? But they won't offer the LIFETIME parts and labor warranty that my GM dealership gave me?

Thats strange since its a GM dealership.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

That's just how it is. . . . Cheap parts are cheap parts. I have installed about 10 compressors in the last week, all jap crap or remans. All still work.

But, I have not seen one last more then a few years.

It's just hit or miss.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by samson_420
That's just how it is. . . . Cheap parts are cheap parts. I have installed about 10 compressors in the last week, all jap crap or remans. All still work.

But, I have not seen one last more then a few years.

It's just hit or miss.
YUP.....thats why when it comes to a system like A/C.....I spend the cash, have it done right, with the warranty. Headache and worries gone forever........

Old 08-29-2011, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

it isnt actually cheap! it cost 300$ that isnt low for a non oem part..and i dont know if its the same GM dealers your guys have there, but its a local agency that is contracted with GM company to sell and fix cars and ofcourse good luck finding fbody parts even from the dealer

Quick Reply: AC compressor help..AGAIN!