General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How far up the creek am I?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far up the creek am I?

Alright guys I think im in trouble. I can't figure out how to post pic from my iPhone so I will describe it as best a possible. yesterday I went out to start my car (98 formula) when it made a loud noise then the starter just spun. I just took the starter out and the end cap like casting on the starter covering where the gear engages the flywheel is broken in half! I reached in by the flywheel to find the other half laying there. The two halves fit together perfectly. So I'm wondering 1. What could have caused this and 2. What do I need to check before reinstalling a new starter? I appreciate any kind of help.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first you need to turn the motor over by and while checking the flywheel/flexplate to see if there are teeth missing....then you can take a mirror and a flash light and look between the engine and trans too see if anything is stuck in the bottom.. there should be an inspection cover under the starter.... if no teeth are missing I would put a new starter in and try it out...
Old 09-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree, it could have been a bad cast or a week shaft, sometime they just break, I would think the flex plate would be the weakest part, so if it was a huge issue, the flex plate would look worst than the starter.