General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeaky Brakes..even after replacing pads!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Squeaky Brakes..even after replacing pads!!!

I been noticing a lot of squeaking from my brakes lately, so I decided to replace my semi metallic brake pads (only the corners was worn out) with ceramic brake pads. The first 2-3 days it was very quiet....now 3 weeks later, its even "squeakier" than the original ones...............please help

Old 09-21-2011, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

Did you rememebr to replace the brackets that help hold the pad in the caliper? One on top and bottom of each caliper? Don't mean to insult you. Sometimes it's the llittle things we forget. I had mine done once and the tech didnt replace one of them. No big deal cuz it was only one adn there was no rattling; however I didnt know until three years later when I did them myself.

Make sure your wear indicator on the pad is not rubbing for some reason and that they were installed with the wear indicator in correct position. I think on the front, wear idicator is on the inside pad. The rear its opposite. It's on the outside pad.

All I got for now.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kdoublep
Did you rememebr to replace the brackets that help hold the pad in the caliper? One on top and bottom of each caliper? Don't mean to insult you. Sometimes it's the llittle things we forget. I had mine done once and the tech didnt replace one of them. No big deal cuz it was only one adn there was no rattling; however I didnt know until three years later when I did them myself.

Make sure your wear indicator on the pad is not rubbing for some reason and that they were installed with the wear indicator in correct position. I think on the front, wear idicator is on the inside pad. The rear its opposite. It's on the outside pad.

All I got for now.
Hopefully you mean #1 on this picture, if so yes, it came with the pads

this is so painful I drive 2-3 mph and it still squeaks, hard thing is hearing which side the squeaking is.

I will investigate more tomorrow. thx
Old 09-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

I was referring to #4 (brackets) in your image.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I'll bet it wasn't your brakes that were squeaking...

When and under what conditions do you hear the squeaking? If its when you aren't on the brakes, then it could be the hubs/bearings.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Exclamation

everything looks normal except

rusts everywhere. keep in mind it only squeak when I brake, theres a black piece that covers the entire body of the rotors, behind the rotors, and it look bent...

could that be a problem?
Old 09-24-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AznDragon533
everything looks normal except

rusts everywhere. keep in mind it only squeak when I brake, theres a black piece that covers the entire body of the rotors, behind the rotors, and it look bent...

could that be a problem?
Can you post a picture?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You'll have a bent squeal tab on the back pad to tell you when the material wears down.

I had the exact same problem - it was bad hubs/bearings. Many folks on the forum have issues with them after they hit 85-100K miles.

If you take the caliper and rotor off - turn the hub by hand. If it feels/sounds like a meat grinder, then its time for a replacement. (It should be as smooth as glass.) Braking puts extra loading on the hubs and if the bearings are going out, they can squeak - sounds just like a brake squeal.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

did you properly lube/grease everything?

Quick Reply: Squeaky Brakes..even after replacing pads!!!