General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

noob misfire problem. done search but, nothing like my problem. please help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob misfire problem. done search but, nothing like my problem. please help...

hey guys new to the ls series motors. i have a 99 ta ls1 with some bolt ons. car has k&n drop in, ebay headers, true dual h pipe with magna flow bullets, MSD wires and diablo sport tunner. now my problem is...

im having a missfire on low idle in cyls 1 3 5 7. dont know wat this can be, car still runs strong. i dont feel it miss on high way or at WOT. motor feels really strong, but i get this miss in low rpm and smells like the cars running rich.

just did full tune up: spark plugs ngk tr5's, oil cange mobile one full syn, fuel filter, and air cleaned the k&n filter.

any help will be appreciated thanks in advanced...
Old 09-22-2011, 10:36 PM
wrencher

Is that what was done to the car & now this running problem?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

You didn't say wires, so you might want to check those. I don't see why all cylinders on one side of your motor would be missing. Make sure all your sensors/connecters on that side of the motor are plugged in. Also, if it doesn't feel like it's missing or sound like a 4 cylinder then something else is throwing this misfire code. Just in case it is misfiring, don't go WOT because it might cost you a motor or at the least will have some pretty extensive damage.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Launching!

if u removed the egr system then thats the problem. mines doing the same thing, after a tune it will be gone and the misfire will stop. also i deleted my rear o2's and cats. (run rich) a misfire code can be caused by anything just about, touching the rev limit can even cause a misfire code, dont ask me how im just sayin wat iv seen, i cant explain it
Old 09-23-2011, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You gapped the tr5's too large. Their max tolerance is .050 which is +/- .010 from it's original setting. Pull them out and buy some tr55's
Old 09-23-2011, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i couldnt find this post again. i dont know if they moved it or wat not. ive posted it up about 3 times because i wasnt able to find it were i posted it. im sorry for the reposts.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrencher
Is that what was done to the car & now this running problem?
got the car with them mods already done to it... was running fine for the first month or so and them it started tripping.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ska4life07
You didn't say wires, so you might want to check those. I don't see why all cylinders on one side of your motor would be missing. Make sure all your sensors/connecters on that side of the motor are plugged in. Also, if it doesn't feel like it's missing or sound like a 4 cylinder then something else is throwing this misfire code. Just in case it is misfiring, don't go WOT because it might cost you a motor or at the least will have some pretty extensive damage.
checked all connections. wires are msd the guy i bought the car from said they were new. thanks on the WOT tip iv been babying it sence the missfire started getting more often..
Old 09-23-2011, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99 WS-sick
if u removed the egr system then thats the problem. mines doing the same thing, after a tune it will be gone and the misfire will stop. also i deleted my rear o2's and cats. (run rich) a misfire code can be caused by anything just about, touching the rev limit can even cause a misfire code, dont ask me how im just sayin wat iv seen, i cant explain it
yes egr removed and i think the air pump also not sure. i have LT's so no cat and 2o delete. it already has the predator tune in it or do i need to take it to a tuner?
Old 09-23-2011, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
You gapped the tr5's too large. Their max tolerance is .050 which is +/- .010 from it's original setting. Pull them out and buy some tr55's
i originally asked for the tr55 and they gave me these tr5's. they had told me they were the same.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Launching!

if it already has been tuned out then no, change the plugs like chrysler kid said.

it kinda sounds like its something to do with the EGR system since it doesnt do it at WOT, EGR doesnt work at WOT, only idle to middle throttle. humm...
Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99 WS-sick
if it already has been tuned out then no, change the plugs like chrysler kid said.

it kinda sounds like its something to do with the EGR system since it doesnt do it at WOT, EGR doesnt work at WOT, only idle to middle throttle. humm...
actually tuned, like on dyno or anything like that no. i just installed the predator basic performance tune. i dont know how to mess with it or anything just installed it and thats it.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any othe sugestions?
Old 09-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lsxTAlemy
i originally asked for the tr55 and they gave me these tr5's. they had told me they were the same.
Those plugs are the same, identical. And its perfectly fine to gap the TR5's at .050...I've been doing it for 9 years.

Make sure none of your plug wires are touching ANY part of the metal exhaust manifold piping.

Go buy a paper filter. Then clean your MAF.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Have you tried replugging in the harness on the drivers side? Start disconnecting with the big grey one that connects all 4 coil packs, then disconnect the 4 injectors, then reconnect them. Also, my EGR and AIR were unplugged for months without a tune and I never had any type of misfire.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Those plugs are the same, identical. And its perfectly fine to gap the TR5's at .050...I've been doing it for 9 years.

Make sure none of your plug wires are touching ANY part of the metal exhaust manifold piping.

Go buy a paper filter. Then clean your MAF.

he still hasnt said what he gapped them at. if he gapped them bigger than .050 or threw them in without gapping them his plugs are causing the problems.

they are the same kind of plug the tr5's are just made to run a small gap. exact same issue happened with my girlfriends trans am, we gapped them to .055 and they made the car miss like crazy. if he slapped them in there without checking the gap (sounds like he didnt check them) then who knows what they could be set at

he said the problems started right after he did a tune up with new spark plugs............

Last edited by chrysler kid; 09-24-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
he still hasnt said what he gapped them at. if he gapped them bigger than .050 or threw them in without gapping them his plugs are causing the problems.

they are the same kind of plug the tr5's are just made to run a small gap. exact same issue happened with my girlfriends trans am, we gapped them to .055 and they made the car miss like crazy
when your car was missing....did it miss all the time, all rpm's, or did it clear up at times and run ok.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok im sorry i did check the gap on them, and then gapped the plugs to .50

the car only misses at idle, no miss when driving around. maybe here and there but not like at idle. at idle it wants to turn off sometimes. once i giving it a lil bit of gas it response normal and runs normal.

and no the problem was already there before i did the tune up. i did the tune up thinking it could be that that car needed one, but it was already misfiring. id like to say that it all started after i put the ram air hood.

i double checked to see if the harness was connected and pushed all the connectors in. i didn't take them all off and put them back on tho.

none of the wires are touching anything but the coil and the plug...

thanks for the replies guys but this is driving me crazy i want to put the bottle on the car but want to make sure it running right first.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lsxTAlemy
ok im sorry i did check the gap on them, and then gapped the plugs to .50

the car only misses at idle, no miss when driving around. maybe here and there but not like at idle. at idle it wants to turn off sometimes. once i giving it a lil bit of gas it response normal and runs normal.

and no the problem was already there before i did the tune up. i did the tune up thinking it could be that that car needed one, but it was already misfiring. id like to say that it all started after i put the ram air hood.

i double checked to see if the harness was connected and pushed all the connectors in. i didn't take them all off and put them back on tho.

none of the wires are touching anything but the coil and the plug...

thanks for the replies guys but this is driving me crazy i want to put the bottle on the car but want to make sure it running right first.
Did you check your engine and PCM ground wires....make sure they're tight.

Cracked spark plugs?

Check the pin rows in the PCM, look for any burnt pins or discoloration.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

Hey....is 1,3,5,7 on the same side?