General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gas gauge problems

Old 10-02-2011, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gas gauge problems

I put 5 gallons of gas in our car today(99 SS Camaro)and it stays way under "E".When you turn the key the needle will move just enough to notice it moving at all(staying way below "E").Then drop as low as the needle will go.

If you start it USUALLY it will go to full then drop back down all the way below "E".

i Just left another thread about mice and chopmunk problems getting in our car. Could it be from them?what wiring could have they chewed if so??

Something else??
By the way the car runs fine and of course the check gauges light stays on.Thanks in advance.Jennifer
Old 10-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Staging Lane

sounds like a jacked up sending unit. possibly chewed through the wiring on top of the fuel pump?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Thats what we were wondering.is that how it acts wit a bad sending unit?We didnt know if the gauges were shot,mouse or what? Just thought it was weird when you turn the key and start it the gauge goes to full then drop back below empty,almost as if the gauges themself are fine?wouldnt that rule out a mouse though?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

is it probable to be a mouse? technically no, but you have mouse problems, and some of your stuff is acting weird. checking wiring is free, so you might as well start there
Old 10-03-2011, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mai krod
is it probable to be a mouse? technically no, but you have mouse problems, and some of your stuff is acting weird. checking wiring is free, so you might as well start there
Good point!Im really hoping its not from a mouse.id rather just have it be something else.My husband hates wiring.Is there really any wiring behind the dash that would effect that?The only place we know where they have been is under the hood(smells awful!!) and in the vents.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jenfred10
Good point!Im really hoping its not from a mouse.id rather just have it be something else.My husband hates wiring.Is there really any wiring behind the dash that would effect that?The only place we know where they have been is under the hood(smells awful!!) and in the vents.
I share his hatred, to the point that I would rather pay someone else gross amounts of money to deal with it so I don't have to lol. As far as in the dash goes, that symptom MIGHT be caused by a signal wire thats been chewed a little, so it will work some, then short when the voltage increases, or it brushes into a metal screw. If you know they've been inside the dash then (unfortunately) you should probably take it out and look over all the wiring
Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

I share his hatred, to the point that I would rather pay someone else gross amounts of money to deal with it so I don't have to lol. As far as in the dash goes, that symptom MIGHT be caused by a signal wire thats been chewed a little, so it will work some, then short when the voltage increases, or it brushes into a metal screw. If you know they've been inside the dash then (unfortunately) you should probably take it out and look over all the wiring
Ok thanks,I will let him know.He said he was checking it out earlier and he was hitting the metal shield that covers the gas tank thats above the muffler and more chewed small black parts of the car fell out in a pile!He said it looked like plastic or weather stripping of a sort.

He's so upset about it....he keeps telling me even if he has to take money out that he was going to use for his engine, to fix the stuff from the mice,Then what next year?We just cant seem to keep them out.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jenfred10
Ok thanks,I will let him know.He said he was checking it out earlier and he was hitting the metal shield that covers the gas tank thats above the muffler and more chewed small black parts of the car fell out in a pile!He said it looked like plastic or weather stripping of a sort.

He's so upset about it....he keeps telling me even if he has to take money out that he was going to use for his engine, to fix the stuff from the mice,Then what next year?We just cant seem to keep them out.
you might want to look into renting a storage unit... dunno if that would work, but it seems like it might.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

you might want to look into renting a storage unit... dunno if that would work, but it seems like it might.
Figured Id give you an update ....We cant really afford storage at this point.My husband took the dash assembly mostly apart and they have nests in the vents which he thinks He got it all out.he sprayed them all with lysol afterwards.He said he didnt see anything chewed as far as wiring from what he could see and didnt see any signs of them on the drivers side.We decided we are going to order a car bag tonight.Hopefully It does the trick!!Unfortunatly still no gas gauge still drops back below "E".

Search this Thread