General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1998 Trans Am Right headlight makes noise but will not open

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Trans Am Right headlight makes noise but will not open

The right headlight on my 98 Trans Am will not open on its own power. Will move a little, but doesn't open. I have to pull up on it. The headlight will bounce some over bumps and will close on its own when I shut off the headlights. Any idea what this is? Lot of people have issues with the plastic gear in them, but this sounds like a different issue.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:52 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Its the gear. Its not getting that bite on the gear to lift it up but when its already up the worm gear is touching a whole new area of the gear which is good teeth.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:21 PM

i have this same problem but the other way around when my head light closes it makes this noise but the headlight operates up and down on its own perfectly. ive changed the headlight gear twice and it still makes the same noise... do i need to change the whole motor this time?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1burns
i have this same problem but the other way around when my head light closes it makes this noise but the headlight operates up and down on its own perfectly. ive changed the headlight gear twice and it still makes the same noise... do i need to change the whole motor this time?
M<y left headlight goes up and down fine, operates normally.......for the past 5 years though, it grinds for 3-4 seconds every time I put them down only. When it strips I'll flip the gear. But man, its been grinding for a long *** time. My right light got the gear flip like 8 years ago, its perfect still.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Launching!

ws6store.com (sponsor here) sells a replacement gear. the stock one is a P.O.S. nylon gear which gets worn out over time (obviously). here is the link.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...t+gear&x=0&y=0

Quick Reply: 1998 Trans Am Right headlight makes noise but will not open