General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hydrolocked Engine. Need some sage advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hydrolocked Engine. Need some sage advice please!

I'll try to keep this short and on point. Drove through a huge puddle at night and hydrolocked the engine. Car had comprehensive insurance on it, so this was/is covered.

Insurance took the car in to inspect about two weeks after the incident had occurred. They actually towed it about two days after, but only inspected visually at that time. The engine wasn't checked until 11/7 (hydrolock occurred 10/22).

All they did (on 11/7) was "remove spark plugs to check for fluid in cylinders, engine still will not turn. internal engine damage." I spoke with the guy at the dealership that pulled the plugs and he said they found no water!

Here is where I need some help. I am not an engine expert but know a little bit. From what I do know it seems like a pretty big leap to make from pulling the plugs and trying to crank over the engine to concluding that this was not caused by water. It seems like they did the bare minimum, perfunctory, check didn't find water and automatically concluded that this couldn't have been caused by water. Am I wrong in making this statement? If I am please do tell me.

However, if I am correct in assuming this, what other checks should I ask the insurance company to perform? What probing questions about the engine should I ask to demonstrate to them that I know that they didn't do everything necessary to demonstrate that this engine seizure was not in fact caused by water?

I KNOW that this was caused by water, there is no doubt that it could have been anything else. I am 100% certain! Now, how do I go about demonstrating this to the insurance company?

Please help!!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pull the oil drain plug, put the oil and water in a large bag. Dump it on the insurance persons desk!!.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Wow, it sounds like they are trying to screw you over. I don't understand how they even checked the combustion chambers for water if the engine won't turn over. Did they expect water to come flooding out when they pulled the plug? Besides, unless the engine locked up immediately when you went through the puddle, all of the water would have been pushed out of your combustion chambers. But your engine would still be shot.

I would talk to an independent shop about inspecting the car. If the insurance company still refuses to pay, you may have to threaten legal action. Good luck. Sorry about your misfortune.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks that's useful info that I'll be using when I call them, and I won't even hold your OSU affiliation against you (I'm an OU grad.

If you are well versed in what happens to the internals of an engine when it gets hydrolocked give me some more ammo/questions to shoot off at the insurer.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the engine was hot when it happened, waiting till the next morning even could result in finding no water because it would have evaporated or drained past the piston rings, especially if you broke a piston. And draining the oil most likely won't produce significant water, not that you could tell. And it does not take much water to hydrolock an engine, it only needs to happen to one cylinder. You don't know how much water it was unless you checked right after it happened, so for them to assume that water has to shoot out the spark plug hole is wrong, tell them that. Waiting a day or more can easily result in no tell tale sign of water, because it can be very little water and engine hot + water evaporates. ****, you could dump 8 ounces of water into the oil and if the engine is hot it'll burn it out in short time and you'd never know.
If you had water seep into the cabin through the bottom of the doors, that's a decent sign you went through a big puddle. And look around the engine compartment and radiator for signs of water and debris, i put my altima through a good puddle, didn't know how deep it was till half way thru but made it through, I had leaves and **** all in the engine bay and smoking on the exhaust header. so look for stuff like that. I'm assuming you have a case of f-body + mods + looks like owner has done work on car = was not a puddle in insurance's eyes.
your best chance of still finding water would be in the airbox, air filter, and maf bellows.
and for the engine still to not turn over at all is somewhat strange, you would need to start pulling things apart. I would first pull valve covers and look for fubar'd rockers and bent pushrods. Having the valvetrain intact, then do a compression test to find blown head gasket, or broken bottom end parts. and by not turn over i assume you mean by hand or by starter knowing the starter is working and the trans is not in gear. If they are just trying to turn it over by ignition key to start and nothing happens, then there's still a good chance the problem is electrical.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 11-10-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks FMF that is very useful information indeed and will be used! This actually happened to my DD, a Cadillac Catera, hence no mods.

As for trying to start it, I assume they just tried it via ignition and not by hand but am not sure and will have to call and check.

Again, many thanks guys and if you have anything else to pitch in by all means feel free!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i agree the problem could be eletrical especially if you dont even hear the starter tryiing to turn over.

you need to pull the heads and look for damage, you will see it on the pistons. and normally hydrolocking will result in catastrophic falure. like a rod blown out the side of the block or oil pan.

also if water was sitting in the combustion chamber you will see rust thats a sure fire way to tell.

I know if my engine ever hydrolocked I would make sure there was water in it when come time to get inspected
Old 11-11-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
i agree the problem could be eletrical especially if you dont even hear the starter tryiing to turn over.
definitely, the starter most likey was submerged for a few seconds unless they mount them on the top side of the flywheel on the cadillac for some reason, not familar with cadallics.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

I spoke with the guy at the dealership the pulled the plugs and tried to get the engine to turn and he said they tried to do this both by hand and by ignition with neither one working. Getting ready to call and talk to the insurance agent with all of the great talking points you have given me. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Whatever happened with your car and the insurance company? Going through this right now.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Find the rod with a crushed bearing and you'll know which piston(s) hydralocked. Usually it crushes that bearing. Probably one or both of the front cylinders.

Call a lawyer too. They can make one call and have your insurance check on the way, you never know.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Unhappy

Damn i hate i when you read a whole thread and you never find out how things turned out!
Old 03-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

You should still have water in the crankcase. I would think after a week it would leak by the rings and end up in the pan. Also, the intake manifold should be wet inside if the throttle plate remained closed. Lastly, I would ask to be there when they drain the oil, so it doesnt end up conveniently discarded.

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked Engine. Need some sage advice please!