General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

in dire need of advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in dire need of advice

i have a 01' Z28 w/5.7, i left work this morning and she started just fine with no problem. as i pulled into the driveway at home lights on dash started coming on so i parked and shut her down. tried to start her again and nothing, you can hear the starter click and light come on but thats it. it was dark so i figured id wait till light to take a look. went out 4 hours latter and turned the key and she fired right up???????? i watched the volts meter and it was going crazy jumping from 8-10 to 14 volts. i decided not to go any further without advice so i called the dealer and they say bring her in so we can take a look. F-THAT touching my motor is like touching my woman, it aint happing so if someone has any advice on what this could be please lemme know. Battery is new, i did have the heads redone when i replaced the lifters but i checked the ground on that already besides its been bout 1k miles ago since it was done. i have had no problem with starting till this morning. volts reads round 8 when she dont wanna start which tells me dead batt but why would she start all of a sudden if batt is dead. also about a month ago the rear defrost started being crazy like not turning off even when car is off so i pulled the breaker till i get it fixed. sorry for ramblin i just wanted to tell every thing i could.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Teching In

i was also informed that the voltage regulator is part of the alternator, is this true? there is a lot i know but oooohhhh ssssssoooooooooooooo much i dont.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with the basics. It sounds like maybe your battery cables aren't tight or may be corroded. If it fired up 4 hours later I doubt it is your alternator but I guess it could be. Hard to say b/c you said lights on the dash came but which ones...?

To answer your question about the alternator they are regulated by the PCM actually.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

It sounds like your issue is either a bad connection somewhere, or a dying alternator. I would start by checking the connections at the battery, make sure they are clean and tight.

Might not be a bad idea to check the condition and connection of the exciter wire on top of the alternator as well. If it has become damaged in some way or is just not making good contact, then the alternator won't charge properly.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Teching In

i checked the batt cables and look good as well as cables going to the pcm. the lights that came on where ABS INOP and Service Engine
Old 12-16-2011, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

unbolt alternator and take it to autozone for a full test.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Teching In

thanx for the tips guys. i will test alternator tomorrow and post back to let u know how it goes.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

careful when you take out alternator, dont forget to unplug that tiny *** 18g exiter wire or w/e or ull rip it right out
Old 12-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Teching In

alternator the problem the was. would not have thunk it the way it just started up after a while like that. thanx for the tips.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Keep an eye on your battery too. Sounds like you overheated it. Once it cooled down, it was able to start the car. Watch for new corrosion on the cables and staining on top of the battery by the vents.