General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

m6 clutch pedal squeak

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default m6 clutch pedal squeak

My car is in storage and I noticed when I got in it this morning to do my weekly interior fresh up that pushing my clutch pedal down it makes a squeak. I tried spraying wd40 all over parts of the pedal that moves and it still didnt fix it. I dont know if I missed the top part (hidden under the panel of the dash) or not because there's no way I can fit my head under there to see where exactly it is. Does anyone have a simple solution? Or should I just take the panel off and get a better view?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by versz
My car is in storage and I noticed when I got in it this morning to do my weekly interior fresh up that pushing my clutch pedal down it makes a squeak. I tried spraying wd40 all over parts of the pedal that moves and it still didnt fix it.
Sorry for the bad news - but this was not a good thing to do. WD40 acts as a solvent and will dissolve the proper grease what was there. This in turn will make squeaks worse at some point in the future. The only thing WD40 should be used for on a car is loosening rusted bolts and cleaning rust off stuff. (There are better and more durable products to use for everything else. In most cases, grease is required vs. an oily lubricant like WD40.)

Originally Posted by versz
I dont know if I missed the top part (hidden under the panel of the dash) or not because there's no way I can fit my head under there to see where exactly it is. Does anyone have a simple solution? Or should I just take the panel off and get a better view?
Yep, that's what you need to do. Remove the lower IP panel under the dash and then get your noggin up under there. (I recline my drivers seat and lay in it upside down with my feet at the headrest.) The squeaking parts and pivots are up behind the cluster gauges. The squeak commonly comes from the clutch pedal return spring. A good one should have two "legs" that hook in to two plastic bushings in the pedal housing. Commonly one of the legs breaks, twisting the spring and causing it to squeak. If your spring is still good, some white lithium grease on those spring legs should do the trick. (White lithium grease is a proper lube for metal on plastic. Other petroleum based lubes, like WD40, contain solvents and can dissolve the plastic.)
Old 12-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. Ill be sure to get that WD40 off ASAP.

Quick Reply: m6 clutch pedal squeak