General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dash removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Dash removal

The previous owner of my camaro had a xm radio glued on the dash. Well when he sold the car he just pulled it up off of it and it took a 2 x 2 inch piece of the vinyl off and now I've got a big brown gawky spot where you can see the foam underneath. ( to explain what part I'm talking about) Its the area right above the radio where its flat. How hard would it be to replace the front part of the dash.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

replacing dash not that hard
Old 12-21-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
The previous owner of my camaro had a xm radio glued on the dash. Well when he sold the car he just pulled it up off of it and it took a 2 x 2 inch piece of the vinyl off and now I've got a big brown gawky spot where you can see the foam underneath. ( to explain what part I'm talking about) Its the area right above the radio where its flat. How hard would it be to replace the front part of the dash.
A pic would help, but if I understand what you are talking about you will need to replace the whole dash (it's one big piece that runs across the car).

This link will show you how the dash is removed,

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-pictures.html

It's not difficult, just need to have patience. I pulled one out in an hour a couple weeks ago but I am really familiar with fbodies.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did it on my Trans Am,, worried at first from all the horror stories, but when I jumped in it, wasnt really that bad.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

Pics are being uploaded now but in that link that dash had a gauge pod on it that would cover up my bad spot. Where can I get that dual gauge pod? and would I have to pull the dash anyway in order to run the wires if so i might as well replace it but if i can just remove the back section and run them It'd be alot easier.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Heres a pic of it. I thought about just taking a big sticker of some kind and putting over it but it'd look kinda out of place.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If the car doesn't have any junky after market alarm wiring it won't be bad, that was the worst part about mine. Other wise just have a helping hand on the reinstall.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys...newby to lstech.....a ? about pulling the dash. will/does the dash in these (99 Fbody) rotate forward like most GM's on a set of pegs down by the kick panels?

I'm about to do a dash removal in 1 and I haven't even sat in 1 of these cars.....my "latemodel" is a 1981 TA. Any helpfull hints would be much appreciated.

I've gotta remove EVERYTHING under the windshield!

Quick Reply: Dash removal