General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

To all that have or have to replace F-body side glass

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all that have or have to replace F-body side glass

If you do this for a living, more power to you. If you do it for fun, you're sick! If for some reason you must replace your side window and it isn't you're job or what you consider fun, may the force be with you. What a nightmare. I can't believe they would rivet the reg motor in, let alone rivet the window roller channel to the window. I have yet to see a good write up on glass replacement and I see why. After doing it I don't want to take the time.
I would love to see a detailed one though to see if I caused myself more grief by doing it the wrong way. Anyone else live through this battle without wounds or breeze through it like a walk in the park?
Old 12-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

I've done it many times. Its easy if you have time, the proper riveter, (a $100-200 investment.), a factory service manual, (another $100-200 investment), and special rivets. (Need to get those from a glass shop and/or the dealer.) If someone doesn't have the tools or books, I usually recommend going to a glass shop because the economics start to lean in that direction.

The rivets are the most important part of the equation here. Did you replace all of them yourself?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I had broke the glass with the seals out of the car prepping for paint (lesson learned). I had since parted another Camaro so I had the spare glass with the rail attached. Maybe putting it in all in one piece was my problem. I didn't want to mess with the rivets if I didn't have too, but was told bolts will work in their place like the older stuff.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Bolts will "work," but there is are good reasons why rivets were there from the factory. They work better for fastening hard materials (steel) to softer materials (glass) because they deform. As well, the deformation makes for a tighter connection and you get less squeaks and rattles.

Did you replace the regulator rivets? IMO - they are more important than the ones on the glass due to the likelihood that bolts will rip the door fiberglass.