General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car feels like it's dragging ...

Old 01-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car feels like it's dragging ...

Hey all,

I just bought a '98 Camaro, and it was previously squeaking loudly when turning slowly and dragging when slowing down. I serviced the rear end (new oil, gasket, etc.), and that went away.

However, it still does the dragging thing when I'm not touching either pedal. The drag increases the slower I'm going, and goes away as soon as I touch the gas. Even like 1% throttle makes it stop. Applying brakes makes it stop as well.

Going ~60mph, it'll sound like a light rubbing of the tires, with an extremely minimal amount of the drag feeling. At about 30-40 mph, it becomes pretty pronounced.

The car does have a 4L60e which was built by Rutland, and an upgraded 3.42 rear gear. Not sure if that'll help, but I'm at a loss..

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check if its draggin' deez nutz.

No really, I'd take the brakes off and check everything. Make sure the caliper slider pins are greased up and stuff. I've had a caliper lock up too. You'll be able to tell if your car pulls to one side and or just 1 of the 2 pads are worn more than the other. Calipers can usually be rebuilt too. If all is good, put it back together.

It could also be the front wheel bearings maybe, but not likely.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!

I'll check that in the morning. I was thinking brakes, but wasn't sure where to start with 'em... besides "the brakes".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car feels like it's dragging ...