General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

how to do i adjust this gap?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how to do i adjust this gap?

i have a gap between that strip at the bottom of the side window on the outside of the door.

i got into the door and adjusted the window as far out as it will go and it still leaves a small gap. i'm about to have to push the window back in b/c i'm getting a whistle at high speeds around the upper edge of the window.

for some reason i don't think it has anything to do with adjusting the window but something else in the door is off.

pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7376316...7628853918241/
Old 01-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You'll need to replace the strip on the outside of the door. (Not sure how to do that.) Its probably just old. Those adjustments you made to the bumpers on the inside of the glass could stress out your motor. They are there to keep the glass just off of the weatherstripping in the inside.

Why do you want to make this adjustment?
Old 01-14-2012, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Bc there is a big gap between that strip and my window. It looks ugly and water is able to seep down into the door
Old 01-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Save the manuals!

OK, you'll probably need the weatherstrip to be replaced then. (A lot of people use it as an ice scraper, which doesn't work too well!)
Old 01-14-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

you need the window stops inside the door... they are little off white colored spikes that slide inside the stops and pull the window out... I should have taken pics of mine when I replaced it.... only one of mine was broke at the rear of the window.. i replaced it with a used part and problem solved... the felt strip has not effect on that gap as far as I know...
Old 01-14-2012, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

anticop-if you could find any pic of what your talking about it would be very helpful b/c im lost at the moment lol.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Im looking for a pic.... I may be selling my interior tomorrow and if I do, Ill take pics if I dont find one by then...
Old 01-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
you need the window stops inside the door... they are little off white colored spikes that slide inside the stops and pull the window out... I should have taken pics of mine when I replaced it.... only one of mine was broke at the rear of the window.. i replaced it with a used part and problem solved... the felt strip has not effect on that gap as far as I know...
I believe these inner guides are what the OP adjusted originally. They aren't there for solving this issue and instead are used to keep the curved glass from scratching against the door and digging in to the weatherstripping when the glass goes up.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Where in TX are you OP? If youre local, bring it to me and we will figure it out. I can get the parts to fix it regardless....
Old 01-15-2012, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Where in TX are you OP? If youre local, bring it to me and we will figure it out. I can get the parts to fix it regardless....
I'm in the Austin area
Old 01-15-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

well damn... Just do this, take off your door panel and look at the inside of the door where the bottom of the window ( long white teeth looking things) go into the stops. The stops are the bottom of the metal pieces covered with fuzzy felt stuff that stops the guide from scratching the window... make sure they line up, go in all the way and arent cracked or broken... try to move them like you would wiggle a loose tooth... sometimes they look good but are cracked and sloppy... post pics if you can...DO NOT try to take off the outside strip... It goes up under the mirror mount and is pressed in with clamps on the fiberglass of the door... DO NOT PULL IT UP... you will ruin the door and strip if you dont do it right....
Old 01-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Save the manuals!

well damn... Just do this, take off your door panel and look at the inside of the door where the bottom of the window ( long white teeth looking things) go into the stops. The stops are the bottom of the metal pieces covered with fuzzy felt stuff that stops the guide from scratching the window... make sure they line up, go in all the way and arent cracked or broken... try to move them like you would wiggle a loose tooth... sometimes they look good but are cracked and sloppy... post pics if you can...DO NOT try to take off the outside strip... It goes up under the mirror mount and is pressed in with clamps on the fiberglass of the door... DO NOT PULL IT UP... you will ruin the door and strip if you dont do it right....
Ahh - so you are saying if the bottom "hooks" don't engage the top stops properly, they won't push the glass all the way out when the window is at the very top?

Search this Thread