Old 01-27-2012, 06:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fuel injectors are dirty
Old 01-27-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
I've gotten 400 miles on a tank all highway on the east coast before, also. I've also gotten in to the low teens for hard core city driving with the same car. Between carbon cleanings, my mileage drops off 4-6 mpg across the board. Maybe that's all that you need? I doubt new wires will do anything but spend money better placed elsewhere. (If it were a spark issue, your car would lean you out.)
It's possible...but I've kept my engine pretty clean, well as much as I can do. Always used Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec every 5k miles, Techron fuel system cleaner every 10k or so, and I did the full seafoam treatment back when it had like 35k miles. My friend that swapped out the rod said everything looked fairly clean. I can understand if my mileage gradually decreased over time, but this was fairly sudden. I did not get this kind of mileage before the engine hydro locked.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ncfastls1
It's possible...but I've kept my engine pretty clean, well as much as I can do. Always used Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec every 5k miles, Techron fuel system cleaner every 10k or so, and I did the full seafoam treatment back when it had like 35k miles. My friend that swapped out the rod said everything looked fairly clean. I can understand if my mileage gradually decreased over time, but this was fairly sudden. I did not get this kind of mileage before the engine hydro locked.
Did you get a scan yet?

Again, the only way mileage can drop off suddenly like that is with an 02 sensor(s) issue.......unless someone hooked up a trailer hitch and strapped a 34" Fountain boat with triple 300 Merc outboards to the hitch.....lol

The whole thing about using certain fuel to keep fuel systems clean....is a hoax. Gasoline is a great fuel injector cleaner, them adding some special chemical to the gas is the biggest marketing gimmick going.

One can of SeaFoam in 1/4 tank of gas every 3-4 months is all I've ever done for 14 years now.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Also....another failure that can cause a drop off in mileage like you're getting....a badly leaking fuel injector.

But if its that bad, you will usually got a cylinder bogging down/misfiring/backfiring.

You said its running "better than ever".....

But it can't hurt to check to see if you injectors are holding fuel under pressure.....

Old 01-27-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

I did not get this kind of mileage before the engine hydro locked.
This.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Carbon deposits (same thing that makes injectors "dirty") happen on every engine and are not effected by changing the oil. My last cleaning seemed to loose its benefits after 60k miles of driving.

Quick Reply: Getting worse gas mileage than before