General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP WIFE's 05 GTO wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not the battery I took the one out of my vette and it didn't change anything
Old 01-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Launching!

How would I check the ECM. And where is the neutral safety switch at
Old 01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Check for power on the purple wire at your starter solenoid, if no power (key on cranking) there then I would go to my underhood junction block and find the mini start relay. Should have power (12V) on 30 and 85 of relay and ground on 86 the remain circuit 87 is for the purple wire to starter solenoid and should have power on it if everything working correctly. Your ECM grounds starter relay after receiving correct input from clutch pedal position switch, power from 60A main fuse feeds one side of relay and the coil side of relay is powered by 15A mini fuse. I don't think a vehicle with manual transmission uses park/neutral position switch. Like others have mentioned I would be suspicious of the clutch pedal position switch not completing circuit when pedal depressed.

Chris

P.S. PM me if you would like me to fax you starting system wiring schematic.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Launching!

Hoping to get it fixed today. Had te starter tested again and it's very weak so I'm just gonna replace it. Also is there a way I can bypass the clutch switch to see see if that is the issue
Old 01-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Teching In

If your going to bypass clutch pedal position switch be sure and put wheel chock behind your tires, set parking brake and put transmission in neutral before trying to attempt starting vehicle. Once you unplug switch ideally you would use a fused jumper wire to complete circuit, but if you can solder couple ends of a short piece of wire flat and push them into the terminals without damaging that should work. Sometimes just for testing purposes when I am in a big hurry I will use a small pair of needle nose to complete circuit, again I just touch terminals not forcing anything down inside cavity damaging it. If your doing it right you can check with your test light to ground and you will have power on one side and once you jumper circuit the test light will illuminate now on the other and wouldn't it be great if your starter engaged :+).

Chris
Old 01-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Launching!

it was the starter even though it tested good twice all is good

Quick Reply: HELP WIFE's 05 GTO wont start