General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pulley Sqeal

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulley Sqeal

I've replaced the idler and tensioner pulley, already ruled out the A/C pulleys. Is there any other notorious pulleys that go bad? I just changed the alternator last week and this noise mysteriously started after that, so I'm gunna pull it tomorrow and see if I can exchange it. The belt is new too. I've searched around but haven't found anything conclusive, just a bunch of idler and tensioner threads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_JS7uo3v38

Last edited by xXSilencerXx; 01-26-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Teching In

I've got the same problem, oddly enough mine started after I brought it back to the car lot to have the alternator changed also. It's been 6 months now and I've only gotten the squeal to go away for short periods of time, I've replaced everything but the alternator and waterpump and it always comes back.

Might wanna check out the waterpump, could be that if it isnt the alternator. If it started right after you swapped the alternator though, I think you've got the right idea in checking that out first.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Added a quick video.

Originally Posted by Unchainedl984
I've got the same problem, oddly enough mine started after I brought it back to the car lot to have the alternator changed also. It's been 6 months now and I've only gotten the squeal to go away for short periods of time, I've replaced everything but the alternator and waterpump and it always comes back.

Might wanna check out the waterpump, could be that if it isnt the alternator. If it started right after you swapped the alternator though, I think you've got the right idea in checking that out first.
Yea man, I'm gunna see if I can get a new one if not I'll check out the water pump. I think it has a small leak or something. I found some drips of coolant the other day, so it might be leaking on the crank pulley? I just need to get this damn thing fixed, it's embarrassing driving this thing around now.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Alternator pulley....

Squeal gets louder when you're closer to the drivers side.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
Alternator pulley....

Squeal gets louder when you're closer to the drivers side.
+1 Is the alternator you put in a reman? Maybe someone's banged up pulley was installed on it. If its a reman, I'd take it back for another one.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Took it back, put it on the machine and tested it. No noise, tried a whole new tensioner and that didn't help either. Then for ***** and giggles I put the old belt back on and the killed the noise for about 20 minute but then it came back.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Teching In

its the waterpump, im having the same problem, about to change it.

this might help
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...se-i-hear.html
Old 01-27-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a 4ft section of clear plastic tubing about 3/8 to 1/2" ID. Place one end to an ear, and place the other end in various places around the engine bay (with the engine running) to hunt down the squeal. Find the squeal. Repair as required.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

did the reman alt have the SAME pulley? i got a new alt and it had a diff pulley.......put on old pulley....pro solved
Old 01-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Teching In

You changed the belt correct? Put a little water on the belt and see if the squeak goes away. Same thing happened to me, turns out the belt they gave me was off just enough to slip and squeak on the water pump.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Mine sounds exactly like that. I replaced all 3 tensioners and then took the bottom belt off of the a/c compresser and started it.....NO NOISE. So it is eith a bearing going out on the a/c compressor or the old belt. try taking the a/c belt off.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Launching!

how about the power steering pump? the squeal gets louder as you get to that side. i've had this same problem over this past month. i had a leaking p/s pump and water pump, replaced both and the squeal showed up. replaced all pulleys and tensioners. still squealed. changed the new belt for another new belt. now the squeal is gone, but i'm not sure what i did!! i do notice that the outside temp (mild winter here in the mid-atlantic) was significantly warmer over this past weekend, so i'm wondering if it is cold weather associated?
Old 01-31-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like my issue as well, AC is ruled out, its coming from the same side.

Does yours go away when warmed up?
I've gone through two belts, both made it stop for maybe a day.
New idler and powersteering pump/pulley.

Really didn't wanna replace the water pump as I have no cooling issues =/
Old 01-31-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how many miles on the crank pulley ?the groves in the crank pulley do widen with time.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car has 115K, this squeak is driving me nuts.

Last I tried turning the water pump and it made no noise at all.
Is it because its leaking onto the belt maybe?
Or the belt slipping against the pulley?

Anything I can do to make sure its the water pump?
Any way to fix my pump rather then buy a new one? =/

Getting really fed up with this car lol.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Launching!

happy .... are you saying that you have a leak from your water pump, or just that you can hear a squeal? if you don't see coolant anywhere and the pulley turns fine by hand with no sounds .... i'd move on from there. you've replaced both tensioners and both idler pulleys, and installed new belts?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by garygnu
how many miles on the crank pulley ?the groves in the crank pulley do widen with time.
171k miles

Originally Posted by happysem
Sounds like my issue as well, AC is ruled out, its coming from the same side.

Does yours go away when warmed up?
I've gone through two belts, both made it stop for maybe a day.
New idler and powersteering pump/pulley.

Really didn't wanna replace the water pump as I have no cooling issues =/

Yea I'm gunna try to replace the P/S pump tomorrow if I get time. I'll try the trouble shooting some suggested first though. If that doesn't work then I'll move onto the water pump, I did look and there seems to be a small leak from the water pump. But the noise still sounds louder at the P/S pump to me. Mine doesn't change when it's warmed up, if did when I swap the belts back and forth but after once it's started squealing it always does.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
Yea I'm gunna try to replace the P/S pump tomorrow if I get time. I'll try the trouble shooting some suggested first though. If that doesn't work then I'll move onto the water pump, I did look and there seems to be a small leak from the water pump. But the noise still sounds louder at the P/S pump to me. Mine doesn't change when it's warmed up, if did when I swap the belts back and forth but after once it's started squealing it always does.
You may just need a new PS Pulley. The stock one is plastic and can get damaged. Given that your noise is short and periodic, I doubt that its an issue with an actual pump or bearing.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

So I just went out and tried pouring water on the belt like VanHalen suggested. Noise went away for about 30 sec then came back. This is with the old belt, haven't tried it with the new yet, but since the noise was there with both belts I'm sure the results will be the same. So does this mean it's the water pump? Or at least the pulley?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
This is with the old belt, haven't tried it with the new yet, but since the noise was there with both belts I'm sure the results will be the same. So does this mean it's the water pump? Or at least the pulley?
It means that your problem is a pulley or a belt but nothing else. Noise = friction and you have some odd friction going on between your belt and pulleys. The problem may even be too small to see visually.