General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

When Down, Window "clunks" When Door is closed

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool When Down, Window "clunks" When Door is closed

Whenever my driver's window is in the down position and I close the door with any force, there is a "clunkng" sound from inside the door; as if the window itself is moving and banging the inside the door. I have taken to putting the window up before closing the door or closing it really, really easy so as not to make matters worse. (I don't know what's going on but I know it can't be good for the window guides, motor, or whatever it might be.) I haven't pulled the panel off yet but before I do; has anyone else had this problem? I had the motor replaced several years ago and suspect something has come loose though the window works fine. It is especially bad when the window is completely down so I'm thinking that the location of the problem is near the top of the door panel; a guide that hold the top of the window in place perhaps? (By the way, both door panels have the dreaded cracks; about 1.5" long and almost vertical right where you'd expect to see the door lock post if it had the old fashioned type on top of the panel.)

Last edited by Rayzor442; 02-02-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: omitted a word
Old 02-02-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I have always heard is you DO NOT want to roll the windows all the way down in our F-bodies.

This causes those cracks on the door along the window because it puts pressure on that top part of the door when all the way down.

I actually feel my driver side window move even when its all the way up...
Old 02-02-2012, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine did that last year, finally took door panel off and found the rivets that hold the regulator to the door panel were loose. Removed them and installed bolts - rattles and clunks and popping all gone. good luck
Old 02-02-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a few things... Could be rivets holding glass to the window sash/channel. Could also be the retainers that keep the top of the window from contacting the top of the inside of the door (they have like a soft felt lining). There are 2, both held in by a single 10mm bolt. Only way to pin point it is to take the door panel off and keep opening and closing the door. Take a flashlight and look inside, you'll find it.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by 777Shock777
From what I have always heard is you DO NOT want to roll the windows all the way down in our F-bodies.
This is a false myth. The cracks are caused by staples that are too tight between the trim and the door panel and don't allow for expansion and contraction of the panel. Totally unrelated to using the window.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Intimidator02SS
mine did that last year, finally took door panel off and found the rivets that hold the regulator to the door panel were loose. Removed them and installed bolts - rattles and clunks and popping all gone. good luck
You'll want to put the proper GM-sourced aluminum/jacket steel mandrel rivets in there. They are required in order to spread the load across the composite door panel. Without them, you'll over-stress the panel and accelerate your progression to this nastier issue: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html

Rayzor442 - you'll have to take the door panel off to see what the problem is. It could be the rivets or a loose bumper at the bottom of the door. There is a rubber bumper that slides in to a slot cut in to the bottom of the forward part of the door. If its in there weird, it could also be making the noise.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clunk in door

Originally Posted by Rayzor442
Whenever my driver's window is in the down position and I close the door with any force, there is a "clunkng" sound from inside the door; as if the window itself is moving and banging the inside the door. I have taken to putting the window up before closing the door or closing it really, really easy so as not to make matters worse. (I don't know what's going on but I know it can't be good for the window guides, motor, or whatever it might be.) I haven't pulled the panel off yet but before I do; has anyone else had this problem? I had the motor replaced several years ago and suspect something has come loose though the window works fine. It is especially bad when the window is completely down so I'm thinking that the location of the problem is near the top of the door panel; a guide that hold the top of the window in place perhaps? (By the way, both door panels have the dreaded cracks; about 1.5" long and almost vertical right where you'd expect to see the door lock post if it had the old fashioned type on top of the panel.)
Mine does the exact same thing. Did you find out the reason?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

mine does it, makes a small "crack" sound over bumps. I took the panel off and from what I can remember it's where two pieces of the regulator connect there's some play. I don't feel like replacing the regulator so I'm just going to live with it.

Quick Reply: When Down, Window "clunks" When Door is closed