General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Does this sound like a dead battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Does this sound like a dead battery?

Only when completely cold, the car takes two attempts to turn over. First attempt, all of the lights come on, everything seems fine, but when you turn the key in the position that the motor will turn over, all you get is a whining type sound, kind of sounds like a fuel pump is priming. The second time you do it, the car turns over perfectly like nothing is wrong, however, this morning it was surging a little in the driveway while it was warming up. Did the same thing when I got out of class, took twice to start, same noise the first time and all.

Does this sound like a battery like I think it is, or could this possibly be something else? Everything else is fine with the car, runs perfect. Battery voltage looks perfect when warm and everything.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So, first attempt when the key is turned all the way to start the engine....the engine DOES NOT turn over......just a whining sound?
Then, the second time you turn the key all the way, it starts?

Corrosion could do that, check the terminals.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Lack of battery power on a start sounds like clicking and engine turning over but not starting.

Sounds like a fuel pressure issue, could be the pump going.

Next time, try putting the key on to ACC but don't start it. Keep it there for a few seconds to build fuel pressure then try to start it.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Take the battery out and over to a parts store. They can put it on a purpose-built battery tester and tell you how much cranking capacity it has left. (A regular voltmeter can not tell you this.)

So yes, the battery could be the issue. When the battery is cold, a battery problem will be magnified.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if he is getting a whinning noise or whirring, that would indicate a starter solenoid or the motor is not engaging the gear to contact the flexplate.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
So, first attempt when the key is turned all the way to start the engine....the engine DOES NOT turn over......just a whining sound?
Then, the second time you turn the key all the way, it starts?

Corrosion could do that, check the terminals.

Just went out there and played around with it. First attempt, engine does not turn over, all the lights come on and everything like normal, but when you click the key to the final position where the motor is supposed to turn over, all you hear is a weak, straining, whining type of sound. Second time, it turns over with no problem whatsoever. Battery voltage gauge was looking a little strange though for a few seconds.

Originally Posted by redtan
Lack of battery power on a start sounds like clicking and engine turning over but not starting.

Sounds like a fuel pressure issue, could be the pump going.

Next time, try putting the key on to ACC but don't start it. Keep it there for a few seconds to build fuel pressure then try to start it.
Yup, I just tried to let the fuel pressure build and that helped nothing. Same results.

Originally Posted by wssix99
Take the battery out and over to a parts store. They can put it on a purpose-built battery tester and tell you how much cranking capacity it has left. (A regular voltmeter can not tell you this.)

So yes, the battery could be the issue. When the battery is cold, a battery problem will be magnified.
Yeah, that's what I have planned to do tomorrow morning before I head to class. Hopefully it's just the battery because I honestly cannot stand driving my parents dirty Suburban, it's pretty terrible

Thanks for the good input guys, I really do appreciate you guys chiming in here.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Just went out there and played around with it. First attempt, engine does not turn over, all the lights come on and everything like normal, but when you click the key to the final position where the motor is supposed to turn over, all you hear is a weak, straining, whining type of sound. Second time, it turns over with no problem whatsoever. Battery voltage gauge was looking a little strange though for a few seconds.
Straining sounds like a weak battery. Like mentioned.....go have it tested. Probably has a short in it.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, that's my first guess. I'll definitely update once I get it checked out, I really appreciate the help man!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just to chime in here, I didn't get the opportunity to take the battery out and get to the auto parts store today. But, what's strange, is just about 10 minutes ago, I started the car after it's been sitting for about an entire day and a half with no drama whatsoever. Started on the first try perfectly, so we are assuming that this is definitely some sort of electrical issue. So, I'll be driving it to campus tomorrow for a "shakedown test" so to speak to see if anything strange happens with it.

But, can I pretty much rule out that this for sure isn't a mechanical issue? I'm still going to make an attempt to take the battery to the parts store within the next 24 hours.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redtan

Ok, I think this guy had it right all along. This is the only way the car will turn over now. The battery was 5 years old and supposedly bad, so I replaced that today, but it didn't fix the problem. Still won't start instantly unless I do exactly what's said above, so I'm definitely thinking it's something fuel related now. However, the weird thing is, it drives perfectly, no loss in power or anything like that.

I'm at a loss with the car honestly, pretty frustrating, especially since I baby it so much.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still not clear what you are describing.

When you FIRST turn the key to crank the motor, does the motor crank over and NOT start

OR,

the motor does NOT crank over?

If the motor cranks but does not start, the fuel pump may be dying.

If the motor does NOT crank, start checking the contacts inside the starter solenoid. Or if your vehicle uses a relay to trigger the starter solenoid, check that relay.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^Well, I actually swallowed my pride and got it diagnosed today. Everything was supposedly fine with it, the place didn't even charge me because they couldn't find the issue. Just so happens that the day I get this done, it's starting up perfectly, so I mean at this point I don't really care. If whatever it is not causing this car to start properly at times eventually breaks on me, it breaks. I'll just have to deal with it and get it fixed. I'm not making it my life's work to figure it out, nor am I going to nag the people to death on this site about it.

I appreciate the help though.

Quick Reply: Does this sound like a dead battery?