General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

alternator wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator wire

I am replacing the alternator on my 99 z28 and I see that there is a ground wire on the back held on with a 13mm nut and there is a connector with ONLY ONE wire going into it. I thought maybe the wires had been cut or pulled out but upon further inspection I cant find any other wires and also there are no connector pins inside the connector other than the one wire. Can someone please enlighten me because I'm a little confused. Thank You
Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No there is only supposed to be one wire. I believe it is called the exciter wire, when I removed my alternator once I tore the wire out of the connector.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Yep .... same thing that I found on my '99 Z28. I had to replace the pigtail that connects to the altenator.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Teching In

If your alternator ONLY has a ground and the battery connector wires then someone may have replaced the alternator with a 'single-wire' replacement that does not use the multi-pin exciter and voltage sense wires common to most all OEM alternators.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by mattmatt350
I am replacing the alternator on my 99 z28 and I see that there is a ground wire on the back held on with a 13mm nut and there is a connector with ONLY ONE wire going into it. I thought maybe the wires had been cut or pulled out but upon further inspection I cant find any other wires and also there are no connector pins inside the connector other than the one wire. Can someone please enlighten me because I'm a little confused. Thank You
The wire on the back is not a ground wire (it is positive), and the wire on top is an exciter/field wire. These should be the only two wires connected to a stock alternator on your '99 Z28.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieB53
If your alternator ONLY has a ground and the battery connector wires then someone may have replaced the alternator with a 'single-wire' replacement that does not use the multi-pin exciter and voltage sense wires common to most all OEM alternators.
One-wire alternators are just that; one wire only. If that was the case here, it wouldn't have two wires.

One-wire units are "excited" by rpm rather than battery voltage. They only require one wire, and that wire is used for charge output (not ground, not exciter).

Quick Reply: alternator wire