General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car does not start.(not sure if it's a VATS problem)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car does not start.(not sure if it's a VATS problem)

Hey Guys, I tried searching this problem but could not find any threads with the same issue.

I recently bought a 99 SS and the guy I bought it from thought it had a VATS issue. Friday, when I went to start the car all the dash lights came on and the car would not turn over. I got a volt meter and set it to 20k to check my key's resistance, which it read 7.43. I went to radio shack and bought a rheostat/potentiometer and set it to 7.43. I cut the orange wire with the two white smaller wires and installed the rheostat on the clip that connects to the purple and white wires(I think that's the color of the wires). I tried starting the car again and nothing happened. All the lights came on and the car still would not crank over. (a note the security light shuts off) I tried replacing the starter and it still will not crank. The next day the car randomly started right up. I shut it off and restarted it 5 times to make sure it would start before I drove anywhere and got stranded. Yesterday, I went to go to the store and the car would not crank again . I checked the battery and all connections too. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Woodymaro
Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the starter relay
Old 02-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Teching In

I checked the relay under the hood and it looks new.... Also you can hear it clicking under the hood.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Could it be the Neutral Safety Switch?