General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

coolant leak from back of the engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak from back of the engine

Hello everyone, I have a 94 camaro 3.4l v6 that has developed a coolant leak. Last night the car started to overheat, it got to about 260º before I was able to pull over and let it cool down. I limped it home never letting it get to hot. (took an hour to drive 5 miles). When i checked the engine coolant it was cold after the drive like the thermostate never opened up. Today when I started it up and let it run for a bit i noticed there was a leak coming from what looked like the rear of the engine. The coolant was still cold even when at operating temps and the engine was still overheating.

What do you guys think might be wrong with it? I was hoping for just a thermostat but the leaking coolant from the rear of the engine makes me think otherwise... Car was running fine up until that night, never getting about the 190-200º mark.

thanks for any help!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first instinct is lower intake gaskets. All GM 6 cylinder cars (hell, all GM engines in general) have intake gasket issues. Can't think of anything else in the rear of the engine that would leak coolant..... Possibly a heater hose but they dont just start leaking out of nowhere unless it was cut or pulled too tight from a previous repair. If its got some miles on it I'd replace the lower intake gaskets, plenum gasket, and thermostat and be done with it. Make sure if you remove the fuel rail you check the injector o-rings for tears before reinstalling them so you don't develop a vacuum leak.

Also make sure you use decent intake gaskets so you don't have to do the job twice. I'm more familair with the 3800 which uses a metal core gasket, I'd imagine the 60 degree v6s should be the same. A dab of blue threadlocker on the intake bolts and engine sealant on the corners of the block where the gaskets meet should do ya.

Ultimately though, your just gonna have to fill her up with coolant and rather pressure test it or run it till it leaks and inspect with a flashlight. When the job is done I like to fill the coolant with the upper radiator hose disconnected from the water outlet and fill it though the upper hose until it comes out of the outlet/thermostat housing. Then theres no fighting to get rid of air pockets.

Last edited by FiredUpZ28; 02-22-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^ What he said. Probably a 99% chance it is the intake gasket leaking.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well after closer inspection the leak is actually coming from the waterpump and its just running down the engine and dripping off the back lol. Replaced thermostat and now car no longer overheats and atleast has hot air. Just need to replace the waterpump now. Is this a timely task? Seems easy enough just looking at it. Does look like the power steering pump needs to be removed in order to remove the water pump. Is this correct?
Old 02-23-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I couldnt tell you without looking at it. I work on those engines all the time (or at least the newer variants) but usually in front wheel drive form. On FWD the water pumps take less than an hour.

Quick Reply: coolant leak from back of the engine